Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anal gland problem?

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry Daisy isn't feeling well. Those darn anal glands seem to bring more grief to these little dogs. Just glad there was a firm diagnosis and hope the antibiotics clear up the infection soon!
    Marianne
    Mom to Dottie, and our precious rescue, Claire-Bear

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'm so sorry Sins!

I would avoid surgery if he means to remove the glands, if at all possible. In other words it is worth getting a second opinion. I'd suggest talking to Tom Farrington near Cork: 0) 23 48811 or if you are in Dublin, one of my vets.

Leo just had a ruptured gland and it healed up with no problem. I just had my vet express his glands, a few months later, and he had very little fluid built up. You can get other complications with surgery.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

angel has to visit the vets for her anal glands emptied every now and then he says he sees it alot in cavaliers too he never mentioned it could end up in surgery hope your girl doesnt need it... hugsss
    cavaliers are like chocolate...the more you see the more you want

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys.I wish I'd taken her to the vet myself but my husband was the only one free at the time and I didn't want her in pain until the evening surgery.
    I'm optimistic about her avoiding surgery,from what I understand, it was the young vet that Daisy takes great delight in biting who was on duty.It's just tough luck but every time she meets him he has to give her an injection and she won't let him touch her.
    The main problem was that she was just too sore to allow the glands to be expressed and she just couldn't tolerate it so he's hoping that after five days of antibiotics he'll do it without any problems next wednesday.
    I wouldn't willingly have her undergo a surgery without it being an absolute last resort.Thanks for the numbers Karlin.
    Sins

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

How is she doing today Sins? Another option for a second vet opinion is Gilabbey vet hospital, 021 4962799 in Cork. I sent you on their details before, if you do go there ask for Shane, he seems to know the most about small animnals and was the vet who knew all about SM etc.
    Tanya, Mark and Cleo (Blen Girl Born 5th May 2006)

Post Thanks / Like

When it happened to pippin...my vet wasn't there and the young girl couldn't express the fluid either..as it had ruptured fluid came out of it everyday when I bathed it.He got the glands expressed when they healed twice in a few weeks and then yearly since and has had no further problems..

Fingers crossed for Daisy.
    Gus(blenhiem) Pippin(tri) DJ(ruby)

Post Thanks / Like

That sounds terrible, hopefully the drugs will work and they will be able to treat the problem without surgery.

As a side, are the symptoms for build up in the anal glands very obvious? I know that they might scoot more, or lick the area a lot etc, but how much scooting would be needed before you would think there might be a problem?

Amie scoots sometimes, might see her doing it maybe once a day.
    Link to my flickr page with pics of Amie is in my profile, under "Contact Info"

Post Thanks / Like

I got no warning at all with it. Only noticing that she was licking herself a lot and seemed to be stiff and sore around the hindquarters. I suspect it's something that's easy to miss because they're such furry little creatures and very often they don't complain.
    I was amazed that they were infected as she's only finished antibiotics a week ago, but she hadn't been scooting at all.It's not something she does.
    She was literally eating the tail off herself and had been licking one side of her hindquarters pratically non stop and when I washed her and poured the water over her back end she yelped.
    She did seem to have a temperature though the evening before and lay on the couch in a very depressed state, but many bitches going into heat can behave like this.
    My friends are helpfully referring to me as Mrs Pumphrey (All creatures great and small) and Daisy as tricki woo (pekinese with Flop bot) that the poor vets used to dread visiting.
    I'll make certain she doesn't have surgery unless absolutely necessary, she's doing much better today, she's not in distress and she has her "wriggle" back when she runs to greet me.
    Sins

Post Thanks / Like

I love that "wriggle"!

I must keep and eye out for the signs in future. Sounds very stressful for all involved!
    Link to my flickr page with pics of Amie is in my profile, under "Contact Info"

Post Thanks / Like

Default Daisy

Sorry to hear your dog is sick,hope she will be ok soon and won't need surgery.
    Noelle