• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

how long will my puppy sleep for at night?

laura85

Theres quite a few different answers on the internet and just wondered if anyone could give me a cav-specific answer!!

im picking my baby up in 3 weeks and just wanted a rough idea of what time he'll want to go to sleep and when he will wake up.

Also how will this change in a years time and 5 years time?

Thanks everyone, hope ur all well
Laura xx

Puppies are basically all the same -- there isn't really any breed specific differences. Really the only breed issues you need to be aware of are the health issues -- development, care and training are pretty much the same for all dogs. I have a lot of info on the specific personality -- pro and con -- of this breed in the Library under 'Considering A Cavalier?'.

I'd recommend immediately getting Dr Ian Dunbar's Before and After You bring Home Your Puppy as a basic home guide and manual as you will find answers quickly there to just about any question you will have and it is far more detailed and extensive than answers from a board. :) You will definitely need at least one good dog raising guidebook like this if you are unfamiliar with raising a puppy and dog as there are many issues that will arise. I'd also immediately order Shirlee Kalstone's book on housetraining. Both are easily available on Amazon in the UK.

You will likely need to get up around 3-4 am to take your puppy out to toilet every night for the first week to three weeks -- this really varies per puppy.

After about 4 months most puppies can sleep thru the night for the rest of their life. Dogs are not the same as kids -- they go to sleep when they like and most will stay asleep til you get up though some like to be up early. They all vary.

When we got Amie at 10 weeks we would be getting up maybe twice, or something three times a night with her!
Now, at 4 months old she sleeps through the night almost all the time. If you follow a strict feeding regime it helps a lot. ie: don't feed the pup too late in the evening, or they will obviously need to go out during the night!

Mine slept right through the night in his crate when I first got him at about 16 weeks but he had been doing this even earlier than that.

Jaspar slept through at 9 weeks. As you can see all puppies are different but you should assume you will need to get up at least once a night depending on the puppy's age. The younger the puppy, the less likely it can last through the night.

Bandit is 10 weeks tomorrow and he sometimes will sleep through, and sometimes wakes up once. He got a bit of loose bowels for about a day and a half and had to go out more frequently that night.
He goes in his crate around 10 or 11 at night. On school days, I am up at 5:30 to get kids up, so he usually is asleep and it wakes him when I get up (he is in a crate by my bed). On weekends when I might sleep until 7:30, he can't wait that long. In either case, he has to go bad, so I carry him to the yard so he doesn't go on the floor on the way.

I got up once a night until Dante was 12 weeks old but I'm fairly sure he wouldn't have needed it once he got to 10 weeks of age as he nearly always slept without a sound and I had to wake him up to get him to go out. Once he started sleeping thru the night he usually had no problems holding it from 11pm to 7am and the few times he just had to go he always woke me up.

I would take Mika out once a night when I first got her. Now, at 1.5 years, she sleeps when we do. Since we're off for the summer, there is no real schedule. We go to bed whenever and get up whenever and she has no problem with this.

During the school year, she stays in bed until after I'm done my shower (she could get up, she just has learned not to bother). Then I take her out. The only exception is when she has an upset tummy and then she will sometimes still ask to go out in the middle of the night - that rarely happens though.

Back