• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

worming

steph

charlie is 9 months. how often should i be worming him and how much of the tablet do i give him? i gave him quarter of a tab at 6 months the last 2 days he seems to be scooting on his bum again which i havent seen him do in months

You need to talk to your vet, both to get worming tablets and most critically, for the correct dosage -- the latter is absolutely crucial as too little is worthless and too much can kill your dog as you are basically feeding him pesticide.

Vets will sell you a wormer at the front desk so just go talk to the vet tech on the desk. You don't need an appointment.

Generally it is recommended to worm every three months but I don't do it that often.

PS Scooting is a very common behaviour in the breed. It rarely is worms, sometimes means anal glands, but mostly just seems to be a breed habit.

I think this has been discussed before, but, why do people de-worm their dogs so often? I just take a stool sample in to the vet every 6 months and they examine for any parasitic activity. Dottie had her stool checked at 6 months of age (when I got her) all clear, and again when she went in for spay. Again, all clear. I don't know of anyone who just de-worms their dogs every 3 months here in the States.

The exception would be if I saw visible worms in her stool, or, she was a poop eater (thankfully she is NOT), or, she ate a snail or small rodent.:grnyuk: Again, I would take a fresh stool sample to the vet for him to analyze if anything like this was observed.

I think this has been discussed before, but, why do people de-worm their dogs so often?

I worm every ten weeks because our dog lives in close contact with the family.The toxocara canis worm has been known to cause blindness in humans so I would rather a controlled dose of an anti parasitic drug than run the risk of my family picking up anything nasty. Dogs poop in garden,even though it's scooped up, kids play ball there and there is always the chance of exposure to this.
Sins

Back