• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

update on Noodles

inoubliable

thank you to everyone who's been keeping us in your thoughts and prayers. Noodles seemed to be doing MUCH better this morning. he was walking on his own and had no trouble going down the stairs or walking out to potty. his eye wasn't wandering around anymore, either.
which now makes me wonder. last night at the vet's i found a tick on him. it was pretty fat. i don't know much about ticks, but i remember reading the post on tick paralysis. i'm wondering if that was what was going on?? he's at the vet's office now for the day. i'll know more later this afternoon.

I'm glad to hear Noodles in a bit better. Definitely ask about the tick when you speak to your vet. That rings a bell with me too.

vet called

Noodles seems to be 100% improved. he's playing with the cats at the clinic and eating just fine. the vet agreed that tick paralysis seems likely at this point. Noodles will be there until they close tonight at 6:30 pm just for observation. i am sooo relieved!!! :D

Please do not dismiss this is a minor event that might have been due to a tickbite. If it was caused by a tick, it was certainly a very worrying reaction. Fingers crossed that may be all it was.

But please do not start to soften what you yourself saw and recorded -- this is how many dogs with serious conditions get left to deal with a serious probem without any pain relief while owners try to convince themselves what they saw wasn;t as bad as they initially remembered. :(

The fact that he has improved may well mean whatever he has comes and goes, not that it was a once off -- you were describing a very serious pain or seizure session of some sort. It does fit with what often happens with syringomyelia, from the neck stiffness and pain to the wandering eye to the shivering and the limb weakness. Such sessions come and go with SM as many of us, including Cathy Moon who had the very severely afflicted Charlie, can tell you. You must take this seriously. Most likely last night they gave him pain relief and all the usual sorts of pain relief from basics like aspirin and metacam to steroids can halt an SM pain session or a session caused by another serious problem, and may give days or even weeks of relief. That does not mean the problem isn't there. The same with back pain -- though the symptoms you saw really do not fit disk pain, which doesn't usually cause a wandering eye for example. SM can; it can affect the optic nerve.

It sounds like you had a very good vet who will proceed with the right array of tests. If you see a repeat of this type of pain session I am sure he will probably advise getting an MRI if nothing else is found.

I would consider too that this may well be why these dogs were originally handed in to rescue. Many owners would see one such event as this, know something was potentially seriously wrong with the dog, and unload to a new home. sadly we see it all the time with MVD dogs and Charlie came from exactly such a situation, abandoned at a vets because the owner realised he had SM.

Please stick with your vet through this and take what you saw very seriously. Or to put it another way -- if one of your children had presented these symptoms, the combination would deeply worry a parent. You saw a very alarming set of symptoms that indicated severe pain and possibly some sort of seizure. Please do continue as you are with a proper investigation for Noodles' sake. (y)

Hello, I agree with Karlin that I'd still be very cautious. It was our collie that had tick paralysis. He didn't act cognitively like anything was wrong, and he didn't act in pain. He acted like he couldn't control his hind legs or didn't have strength or coordination in his hind legs. He almost acted drunk, and he seemed worried. (I think because he knew his legs weren't cooperating, and he didn't want to collapse in front of the other dogs. that whole "act like you are fine" thing dogs do). I had to help him up he stairs and into the car to the vets. I initially thought the heat had gotten to him. He did improve rapidly and dramatically the same evening we got the tick off. My vet had taken extra samples of Lad's blood to run a tick screen (or something like that, can't remember what it was called) if we thought it needed to be done. You might see if the vet has extra blood samples from when Noodles went in while affected, and see if they can run a screen that tests for tick paralysis, or one of the other tick diseases.

Please keep us updated! I hope all goes well.

Back