• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Double Neuter

vicarrieous

Hey all-

Sorry I haven't posted in awhile our boys are doing great and growing quickly. I have been purusing this site for all the info possible on neutering since both Kip & Albie are getting neutered this Thursday. Albie is about 6 1/2 months and Kip is 9 months. I am feeling pretty much prepared, knowing how to prepare, but the outcomes and during is what I am most worried about. Are there things I need to have for them after the surgery? I know they will come home with meds but are there other things I should consider? I know no stairs, and make them comfy but I am just one over protective mom. I am having the hardest time letting them be at the vet all day. I feel horrible about it. Any advice? reassurance? tips? I really appreciate it. I am sure it will probably be harder on me than them. I just need to remember it is a routine procedure and they do it every day. I am just afraid of the rare accidents and seeing my boys in pain.

Also, did any of you see any behavioral changes in your dogs after the neuter? Just recently Albie and Kip have started to mount (about 2 -4 weeks ago) will this subside? Any other major changes?

Thanks again. I am surprise I can even type since I am so nervous for them!

One Neurotic Cavy Owner - Carrie

The mounting usually stops but keep in mind it may take a little while. Generally boys become a bit more relaxed and less hyper post-neuter, and a lot less interested in trying to roam. Other than that you won't notice any personality changes. :)

I never worried much about stairs -- it's more that you don't want them tearing around the house. But they will be pretty sleepy on the day you get them back; most likely they will be back at full throttle or close to it by the next morning -- that's when you need to try and keep them a bit more low key than they will probably want.

A bit of licking at the wound isn't a problem and helps keep it clean but if they are really fussing at it I'd put an e-collar on when they are awake or try a babygro/onesie with a hole cut for the tail.

By 2-3 days after their neuter you won't really notice they ever had anything done. :)

Oh and expect some swelling that will make it look like they weren't neutered! That will quickly go down.

Thanks! That really helpful. I am just so eager to know what to expect that I want/tend to be over prepared and nervous about it. Right now they kennel together when they sleep. Do you think its bad to do that afterwards so they dont lick eachother?

Jato was neutered about 2 months ago- he had an undescended testicle, so he had to have (2) different incisions. I dropped him off in the early morning, and brought him home later that same evening. He was very tired and groggy that first night and most of the next day. I slept on the couch with him in his little bed beside me. I put the baby onesie on him, and he did fine. If you use those, the boys should be able to sleep together like usual. I have not noticed any difference in his behavior or personality. Like you said, it is pretty routine surgery- I'm sure they will both be fine. (y)

Oh and expect some swelling that will make it look like they weren't neutered! .

Gus and Pippin got neutered together and they were fine..I think it was good that they had each other at the vets.

Karlin...On the swelling, I nearly had a heartattack when I seen Gus i thought they'd forgotton do do him:shock:

Thanks for all teh heads up. LOL if I didnt know about the swelling I am sure I would probably be even more freaked! About the onsies, how did you know what size to get? Kip is about 14 lbs and Albie probably 15-16.

Charlie was neutered last week and he was pretty tired and groggy when I got him back in the afternoon, however, by that evening, he was at full throttle and acted like nothing had happened. I had to crate him to prevent him from running and jumping around so much. The vet gave us an e-collar to use which I kept on him for a day. He didn't seem to need it after that as he wasn't licking too much. His incision site is healing very nicely and looks like it'll be completely healed within the next week.

The only behavior change I noticed in him is he now LOVES his food. He was never too interested in his food or eating before, but now he scarfs down his food. I haven't changed his diet or anything. I don't know if it's due to the neuter or if it's something else.

Your two babies will do just fine! :)

2737413632_9e2b0b5fd0.jpg

2737413116_d89c94144a.jpg

I bought a pack of Gerber Onesies in a size 24 months. I didn't even have to cut a hole for his tail, as his tail would just stick out of a leg hole. I only had to use them for maybe 2-3 days. He really didn't want to lick his stitches.

Post-op

How did the surgery go? Mine had surgery the same surgery, with hernia repair and microchipping aboput 9 days ago; they are both 7 months old. I picked them up from the vets the next day (while there, they lept them in the same crate since they were doing so well together). About an hour after I got them home, I left a message for the vet to call me back because I needed a prescriprion for a sedative; they were like wild beasts (ok, the same as they always are) and wouldn't stop playing and runng/jumping, etc. About 9pm that eve, I got a call back from the vet's tech and she was laughing. She said, "We played you message several times and we could not stop laughing! You have the sweetest little puppies any of us have ever seen...they give the best kisses too! We all just think it's funny that instead of curling up together, they insist on their usual rough-housing." Of course they gave me the sedative (Ace) and I slept with them on the matress on the floor for the next week. They've healed great and I took them for their usual walk today for the first time in a week. We all have awful cabin fever! There was no way I was gong to be able to go 10 to 14 days without exercise like the vet recomended. All sutures remain closed and are healing beautifully....rough-housing is kept to minimum. I didn't even need to use those e-collars at anytime. I pu them on the first day for about 60 secones: it stops them from licking their own wound, BUT NOT EACH OTHERS! How did your pups fare?

Last edited:
I realized that I had updated in another post but not on this one...

They were pretty groggy when I went to get them but not as bad as I expected. Albie is doing really great. Sleepy mainly and leaving the wounds alone. They used internal stitches which means they will dissolve which is great. Kipling on the other hand is having a much harder time. He went in and they pulled a baby tooth and cleaned his teeth in addition. Plus, when they brought him out they had noticed that he had been licking obsessively. His wound was very red and swollen. I was a little upset that they hadnt noticed his licking, but they gave us an ecollar which he doesnt like at all. When he has it on he wont even move. IT is pretty sad. Since we have been home we have really had to watch Kip. He will lick if we dont watch and he is so pathetic in the ecollar. All the advice on here said buy onesies which I did (12 months) but I think they are a little too small.

Its been four days and they are back to their normal selves. I have noticed some changes but they might jsut still be recouperating. Kip is a little swollen, also he looks a little dry and cracked down there. Is this normal? Albie is leaving his alone and his looks much nicer. We are hoping for a full recovery by the end of this week. Thanks for all your help and concern!

Kip and Albie - glad you guys are okay.

We'll lick ours for you in sympathy

Merls and Oaks ( two great lickers!)

Back