• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Smooth Coat??

Mom2Lola

From looking at everyone's puppy pics, I see that they all have a "fluffy" coat. Lola seems to have a "smooth" coat. Is this normal?? I know that it will fill in eventually but I have yet to see this on another cavalier puppy. Here is a picture of her from a couple of weeks ago but you can kind of see what I am talking about. Her coat really smooth.

003-1.jpg

Amie has a smooth coat too. It is starting to get longer around her legs and tail now though.

2704357610_ee66f8c8d5.jpg

Anastasia went through a stage of non-fluffiness. she was fluffy as a baby, then once she hit 4 months it was very smooth like lola's. it wasn't til she was almost one that she started getting fluffy again. it's come in weird patches though, kind of uneven. it's getting better as she gets older. I'm sure Lola will get fluffy again in a few months!

Well she is only a puppy; lots of puppies have a short coat. She will begin to fill out as she gets older. Some cavaliers have really heavy coats even as puppies, and others do not. Neither of my boys when they were puppies had heavy coats either. They are a LOT easier to care for as adults compared to the two girls, who both have heavy coats and shed like mad. I wish all four of mine had the lighter coats myself!

My Elja was smooth like a Boxer as a puppy.She is still rather smooth compared to other Cavaliers and I agree with Karlin,it´s alot easier to groom them and keep them in topcondition;)

When I first got Dylan he had the longest puppy coat I ever saw! His puppy coat grew to 5 inches long in a year until he blew his coat and he has been shedding like mad ever since! Long hair is glamorous but is a lot of work!

Lola is so cute! :lotsaluv:

Dylan at about 16 weeks.
317336482_e01598deac.jpg

My boy was a very smooth coated puppy as well. I did not see him before 5 months of age, so I do not know if he ever had fluff.

He is 30 months now, and although his flarings are longer, he still has a smoother coat than many Cavaliers I've seen.

Easier maintenance and less shedding, and I love it. The ruby fur also hides very well on our hardwood!

Arlene and her three: JP - Alaskan Husky, Missie - Cavalier/Tibetan Spaniel mix, Rocky, all Cavalier.

Both of mine were very fluffy puppies...and are still very fluffy. Enjoy the smooth coat while you've got it ;) easier to maintain and keep up with. I think she looks adorable by the way....what a little cutie.

i agree!
i was sad when my cocker boy never grow his coat.
but i am so glad now! much easier groom and still looks great!

Thanks for all the compliments, we think she's pretty cute too!! :lotsaluv: She is pretty easy to maintain right now. I do blow dry her though so she can get used to it because I'm sure she'll need it when her coat comes in.

Good idea. If you get her used to being groomed now when there's no much to groom it will be so much easier when the grooming is actually needed.

Casey is 5 and has really long hair, but my Ollie will be 1 next week and still has a smooth coat. Honestly, I hope it stays fairly short!

The long hair is beautiful but so hard to maintain. She brings the mulch into the house every day- everything sticks to her feathers and requires a lot of brushing. I even have her feathers trimmed, and they still drag on the ground! :eek:

Back