• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

ruby smells fishy!

RoyalRuby

i thinks her anal glands need empting, do cavs not do this themselves or do they need expressing regularly? what can help? i heard high fiber diets can help is this true? any help would be great the smell is really bad :confused:
thanks

If it is this noticeable, you need to get to a vet right away. Bad smells in dogs as in people indicate a problem. It could be many things from serious ear or gum infections to anal glands. If untreated anal glands will become impacted then rupture, which is extremely painful for the dog and may then require very expensive surgical intervention.

Please give your vet a call to discuss your concerns and you will likely be advised to get her in immediately for a check-up. (y) Early care and prevention is the best approach to overall health. :)

Is it possible shes coming into season? I notice a different pungent odor when my girls are in season or coming in. My fiance doesn't have a very good sense of smell and doesn't notice it, I definitely do though. I would definitely give your vet a call.

i emptied them last night and she still smells really fishy so i think i iwll take her to the vet on monday. and it is possible shes just turned 6 months old so that could be the reason thanks very much for the help, would a higher fiber diet help if the smell is anal glands?

She needs to be getting roughage in her diet -- some raw veggies are good. A good dry food will also help stools.

If she is 6 months then she is right at the point when she may be going into heat and would normally be spayed. Please be sure to read the info on spaying and the recent threads on dogs with pyometra as you consider what to do. We nearly lost a board cavalier to pyo last week. If you do not know how to manage a heat you need to read up on this and talk to your vet -- she needs to be kept in the house for at least 4 weeks.

is 6 months not too young? should i let her have one heat and spay after or rigt away? should i keep her in doors now? sorry my first pup so unsure on spaying issues? ive read up but heard many different things... :confused: ny advice would help
thanks

My ruby has had her first season she is 7 months and did smell of fish! you dont have to wait for them to have season before they get spayed.

Back