• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

"I'm sorry honey, did you just say the dog threw up a sock?"

nicoles94

I was sitting on the couch, petting Tybalt when the phone rang, It was my husband who is away for work and we chatted about a few things when I heard Tybalt start retching, I turned and saw him chuck something back up. When I looked closer I noticed it was a sock.

I muttered into the phone that the dog had thrown up a sock, not really talking to the hubby when he asked me to repeat myself.

I looked at Tybalt who was now off the couch and chasing the cat around. Prior to that he had been romping outside with the neighbors yorkie. Weird, but weirder yet was when I took a closer look at the sock, which is weird anyways because we haven't worn a pair of socks here since early April AND the sock was clearly a little boys sock and we have no little boys here.

I called the vet even though Tybalt seemed fine and he laughed and said he gets the 'my dog ate a sock' call all the time. When he assured me Tybalt would be fine since he had passed it one way or another, I felt better.

But I can't help but to wonder where he got that sock!! I am seriously stumped.

It's bad enough when they eat your own clothes....but when they eat something and you can't figure out where they got it!! I had a rescue boy who was a little under the weather for a couple of days. We just put it down to a new situation. He was eating, pooing and peeing okay and wasn't lethargic but wasn't terribly active. The first night at his new home he pooped out a pair of underpants!! :eek: He had somehow gotten a hold of a pair of his foster mom's underpants, completely ingested them and then, thankfully, pooped them out in full. Thank God they didn't get impacted or caught. He could have been in serious trouble.

Hmmm... I know it was funny but it could be dangerous too. My breeder recently lost a bitch because she ate a rope from one of her chew toys. BTW, our Mickey "steals" our socks all the time and he would run and hide under the dining table because it's hard for us to get him there with all the chairs around. I don't think he has really eaten one yet.

My 2 year old (at the time - he is now 7) blenheim found a cat toy mouse at the pet sitters and ate it. He became extremely ill, requiring emergency night time surgery. He lost over 2 feet of his intestines which had become gangrenous in a very short period of time. The surgeon actually kept the toy mouse to show me what he had eaten. It was a long recuperation, but now at 7 years old he is doing great - no intestinal or digestive problems. Unfortunately, he is a food monster and I have to really watch him. A lot of these stories are funny since it's so hard to imagine what they can find interesting in a pair of socks! But my poor little boy paid the price, although he's doing just fine 5 years later.

Bev, along with Oliver :paw:, Riley :paw:, Madison :paw:, and Oz :paw:

I know it was funny but it could be dangerous too

No doubt....it can be extremely dangerous. We were so relieved when this little guy relieved himself of the underwear without any complications (we didn't know he had eaten them until they came out). I've heard horrible stories about dogs eating pieces of clothing and not surviving.

Oh, I am so glad he yaked it up! I know those situations can be serious. My ex's mom's cat ate a very long ball of yarn and had to have surgery. It cost a huge sum of money, and it was effective, but, wow.

Back