Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Took Casey to vet to rule out all else first

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It isn't necessarily a good thing for a dog to jump on/off a bed or any other furniture, especially when they can only do it when taking pain medicine. If I were you I would discourage it, and train her to let you lift her on and off. Perhaps you could get her a ramp or a set of stairs for the bed and the living room?
    Cathy Moon
    India(tri-F) Geordie(blen-M)Chocolate(b&t-F)Charlie(at the bridge)

Post Thanks / Like

Can jumping up and down actually make her condition worse, assuming it IS SM? I didn't know that...
    Trisha in Southwest Florida
    Cavaliers: Casey, Ollie, & Winston and usually a foster or two! Cats: Pebbles & Benson

Post Thanks / Like

Because of Shelby's knee problems we bought a couple of sets of stairs and put one at the foot of our bed and one at the couch. It was super easy to train her to use them and now we can say "up your stairs" and she uses the stairs to get on the furniture. In general it's not a good idea for them to jump up or down from furniture.
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Post Thanks / Like

The only problem I have is when Watson's on the bed (having safely gone up his expensive ramp) and he spots the cat in a tempting position to be chased. Then he'll jump off, even though the ramp's right there.

I have to be constantly aware of where the cat is, sometimes closing him on the other side of the door. Not really fair to the poor kitty, but I can't imagine any amount of training that will override my dog's cat chasing fervor. If only HE knew he had a disc problem.

Chloe Watson, also has a very small Chiari malformation and a very small syrinx, but he has never shown symptoms of SM. Our neurologist, who is also quite familiar with SM, told me today it's possible that he could live his whole life with that syrix not getting any bigger. Which is why I'm glad I know about it and can try to avoid any strains on his neck or spine. Forever.
    Last edited by boymom; 20th August 2008 at 02:09 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I just got a call from the vet, and her tick panel results came back and there are raised levels of whatever they test for rocky mountain fever. I'm picking up antibiotics to treat her for it just in case, although the only possible symptom she has could be joint pain. So, we'll see if the round of meds helps at all.
    Cavaliers: Casey, Ollie, & Winston and usually a foster or two! Cats: Pebbles & Benson

Post Thanks / Like

Today was a low day. Casey has been doing much better since the pain meds and antibiotics for the possible RMSF (which my vet didn't even sound convinced she had based on the lack of symptoms~ but we're treating anyway just to make sure!)

Back to the point...She's been doing great, seems to be feeling better and definitely has more energy. She's even lifting her nose in the air to sniff! Usually her head is very low and stiff.

Well, she never pulls on a leash, so I have always had her in a collar, not a harness. Tonight, I decided to try one of Ollie's Puppias on her since I know they are better for them. We walked about 200 feet and she was air-scratching on and off the entire time, and finally just lay down on the sidewalk.

Boy, I've had my suspicions about SM, but I just stared in disbelief as she was air scratching and bunny hopping like crazy. I hope it was just her not being used to the harness and not wanting to wear it.