Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Puppy with SM

Post Thanks / Like

I really appreciate all the discussion on this here.

We're noticing a couple of symptoms in Binne, the scratching (though not air, around her harness), and she does this weird thing where she sort of looks like she's chasing her tail but she's actually chewing a foot and making strange sounds - not painful sounds, more like playful sounds, but we are watching her carefully. I cannot say I am not worried. This is our first time with the breed and she is only about 16 weeks.
    ~Heather
    Natura non facit saltum

Post Thanks / Like

I understand you being worried. What you describe is symptomatic. Unfortunately the only way of knowing for sure is with MRI. Trust your intuition and put your mind at ease. And I will keep my fingers crossed

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

the scratching (though not air, around her harness), and she does this weird thing where she sort of looks like she's chasing her tail but she's actually chewing a foot and making strange sounds - not painful sounds,
    Really it would not be unusual for a puppy unused to a harness to scratch at it. If she is chewing her feet then it would be worth talking to your vet -- this could be a skin condition, fleas, mites, allergies -- loads of things.

Symptoms are very, very unlikely in puppies this young. Please have a look at the videos on www.smcavalier.com as they give a better sense of the difference between normal behaviour and SM behaviour. There's a long symptoms list and a page on "I think my dog has SM" which lists a whole checklist of other things a vet should check for first. As the site makes clear and I have said many times -- for the majority of cases, there are many other things that are more likely and should be checked for, before even beginning to consider SM.

If a symptom remains persistent or worsens or others also appear, and a vet keeps saying it is probably back pain or allergies, however -- that is the point at which I would ask for at least a basic neurologist clinical exam to discuss other possibilities.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

I have made an appointment for Annie Wed Nove 26th at the neurosurgeon in Carrolton. She is familiar with SM and is listed as being a good choice. It breaks my heart to read how many are affected and how hard it is on owners. Since Annie is only 7 months old I fear a not good report, but am keeping fingers crossed it could be something else. Cavaliers are the best dogs I have ever owned.
    Martha
    Annie's mom

Post Thanks / Like

Our Cavalier was diagnosed at 20 weeks. He had symptoms for the time we got him at 10 weeks, only we did not realize what it was until we started screaming for no reason around 20 weeks. It was devastating.

After a lot of research and consulting 4 neurologists, 2 of whom have done multiple decompression surgeries, we opted for medical management (combination of a very low dosage of prednisone, gabapentin and omeprisol). Jack does extremely well and most days is a normal dog. He has roughly one screaming "attack" every six to eight weeks. I contribute this largely to acupuncture (he goes every 3 weeks) and a raw diet. He is 1.5 years now, and God willing, he'll stay comfortable for a long time to come.

This is not want we want for any of our dogs of course, but my point is it can be manageable. Best of luck with your baby and deciding how to handle proceed… I know the decision process is agonizing.
    Mary Ann (Jack Sprat's mom)