• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

BBC news - related to forthcoming docu...

I've added a link to the video to my SM site as it has a good example of SM scratching.

Just seen some clips on this (on tonight at 9pm BBC 1) it should be an interesting watch, but some of the clips look quite sad.

Just seen some clips on this (on tonight at 9pm BBC 1) it should be an interesting watch, but some of the clips look quite sad.

Its not on until Friday for me... up in Scotland! :rolleyes: Everyone will be discussing it, and I wont have seen it yet!

Ashley, thankyou for posting that link for those of us in the States. It is heartbreaking, but awareness and breeding away from these genetic issues is the key to diminishing health problems in the breed.

Ashley, thankyou for posting that link for those of us in the States. It is heartbreaking, but awareness and breeding away from these genetic issues is the key to diminishing health problems in the breed.

No problem. I'm just glad they worked! I'm sure the programme will be available online at some point as well, so you will be able to view it then. :xfngr:

Just waiting for it to come on BBC1 now. Think it may be upsetting, but people need to know.

btw, Ashley, I've pm'd you on the Trust forum :)

What a distressing documentary, why oh why would anyone knowingly put their dog and many other dogs through this. Utter negligance - the poor poor dogs. I watched that documentary as a viewer without knowledge of breeding standards and the kennel club etc as my cavs were just bought as pets.

Was this an accurate documentary in the portrayal of the kennel club and breeding standards? Is this really such a sad truth that is well known about? and one that is ignored in the strive for beauty and prizes?

Congratulations to all of those people that fight against the spread of this dreadful disease in this beautiful breed. (Not only the cavs of course) it's horrendous how this can happen in today's society.

:-(

I can't believe the woman who has let her dog sire 26 litters since being diagnosed with sm (although she denies this claim)

Absolutely disgraceful!

And as for mother/son brother/sister matings - It makes you wonder what their "human" families are like:bang:

I just watched it. I thought those people were a disgrace. I can't believe that woman bred her dog knowing he had SM.

I also don't believe that the woman who was campaigning for testing of SM is disliked amongst the Cavalier community like it was made out she was.

I really am appalled.

And poor little Danny winning best of show when he can barely breathe or walk :(

I am also disgusted at the woman who knowingly bred from an affected dog!!!!:bang:

I think the breeders shown weren't the best examples as they seemed cold and just concerned with what their dogs looked like. I know that all responsible breeders will do all the testing they can to eradicate this awful disease but I agree that the KC should change their "blueprint" to ensure that dogs are just bred for "health" as opposed to "looks"

And the way the other breeders reacted to the producer of the show outside the house of Lords BECAUSE the producer had the nerve to question that irresponsible woman who was breeding her "best in show" SM affected cavalier!!! I really wanted to run after them and clobber them over the head. Claire Rusbridge is so right. Those women who think they're these wonderful breeders, beyond questioning even, may as well be taking sticks to beat their dogs and their litters with.

hat the woman who was campaigning for testing of SM

That's Carol Fowler; she is a member of the board. :)

I am proud to know many health-focused breeders as well. Sadly many of them are marginalised by the breeders-that-be.

Imagine though if the official attitude is what you saw, and that only 25% of CKCS puppies registered by the UK KC are club breeders, that the other 75% are even less likely to do a single health-related thing on behalf of their litters. And then there are all the casual bred and puppy farmed cavaliers.

Now weigh up the evidence and decide if you think cavaliers, with both SM and MVD, stand a chance in the medium to long term. :mad:

what got to me was even tho she was obviously showing SM signs her tail was still wagging.

Back