• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Discussion of Pedigree Dogs Exposed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karlin

Administrator
Staff member
There is supposed to be a discussion here for most of the next hour or so.

Just starting. Alternatively if you are using Realplayer you want to find and listen to BBC radio Fivelive.

This entire thread is also here for a board discussion of Pedigree Dogs Exposed.

So were the receding backs of the prominent cavalier breeders shown at the end on film, refusing to respond to questions about whether a cavalier KNOWN TO HAVE SM should have won the top award at the most prominent cavalier show in the UK and be used to breed over 30 litters, the majrity AFTER his diagnosis. I guess they think it's OK, given that so many other UK breeders, knowing this dog's SM status, still chose to spread this affected dogs' genes further, into puppies that will *primarily go to pet owner homes*.

BTW I note we have an awful lot of UK 'guests' reading threads related to the programme tonight. Hi breeders checking in to see what we say!

icon_welcome

The Irish Times gave me a 1000 word editorial on the topic for the opinion pages of tomorrow's paper on the programme, too. I will post a link in the morning.

This thread can be used by anyone who wishes to discuss the programme. Please do not make statements about anyone that goes beyond known fact, folks. (y)

Karlin, - perhaps you should post the same advice on the other thread that is now discussing the "actions & opinions" of the peole shown in this program.

So were the receding backs of the prominent cavalier breeders shown at the end on film, refusing to respond to questions about whether a cavalier KNOWN TO HAVE SM should have won the top award at the most prominent cavalier show in the UK and be used to breed over 30 litters, the majority AFTER his diagnosis. I guess they think it's OK, given that so many other UK breeders, knowing this dog's SM status, still chose to spread this affected dogs' genes further, into puppies that will *primarily go to pet owner homes*.

Yes, and to think I called one of them to buy a puppy before I got Dylan and she seemed not to like ME!!!

These people seem to think they are above everyone. I knew there was a reason I didn't show..... for some it seems to be the notoriority (spelt wrong...) of the show ring rather than bettering the health and standard of the breed that spurs them on to achieve their "goal"

Last edited:
That film broke my heart and infuriated me in equal measure. And yet at the same time I was glad that MVD and SM - and the conditions for the other breeds discussed - were being made so public. I couldn't believe the Cav breeder who said that SM wasn't really SM because 'all dogs scratch'. And the Kennel Club, grr. So what if all the breeders who are opposed to stringent health testing walk? At least that would mean that the dogs shown at Crufts, which is, after all, one of the most prestigious events in the dog calendar - are sound and healthy as well as longlived. That means that the natural fallout of a BiS win will be that hopefully people will be crying out for pups from good dogs.

Yes, this might drive less health conscious breeders away. Yes, they may form their own alternative clubs and shows. Yes, they may continue to breed and sell pups - but they won't have the instant recognition and accreditation that Kennel Club registration gives. Although of course none of this helps the uneducated or unwary buyer who might be particularly susceptible to the experienced talk of such breeders.

Why can't our Kennel Club wake up and smell the coffee Swedish style?!
/end rant.

It is just so disheartening and upsetting seeing what certain breeders are doing knowingly to their dogs and puppies. I cant believe the kennel club do not have a ban in place for deliberate mating of dogs which are close relatives, this appartantly is common practice and the Kennel Club registers dogs bred from mother-to-son and brother-to-sister matings. Its just shocking. It seems like as long as the dog is to breed standard they do not care about its health.

I actually can't explain how that documentary upset me but I think it was an excellent show. I cried hysterically when I saw the dog having a seizure. Having a daughter with the same condition and it being the most frightening thing I've ever witnessed in my lifetime, I was devastated to see that poor dog and feel for those of you whose dogs suffer this condition and of course SM or any illness with no cure.

Thank you for drawing our attention to the radio show too Karlin, Richard Bacon was great and said everything I wanted to say.

Check the Cavalier Club for its open letter in response...

[google it. I don't know if the link is allowed and it's to a pdf anyway]

...and I can't remember the tags anyway!

Last edited:
I was devastated to see that poor dog and feel for those of you whose dogs suffer this condition and of course SM or any illness with no cure.

Me too... , you are all very brave and compassionate people.

Joel refused to watch the show after he had seen the highlights, but he did watch it, in the end. I've never known him get passionate about "dog stuff" - thats always my area - he has since gone to bed in a state of disgust that people mindlessly breed from dogs suffering from sm ( he has never seen the symptoms before.)

BTW the breeder who was upset that Jemima Harrison questioned the breeder with the winning Malvern dog, and refused to answer any further questions at the very end, is the health representative for one of the largest UK regional clubs.

Well,i cant believe the 2 SMUG kennel club top dogs.We have a very old pocket book on breeds and hubby and i noticed the difference in the breeds all of 10 yrs ago.I feel like sending a nasty email to the kennel club,i wont do this at this moment in time becos i might regret some of my choice in words.I have just taken the boys out for wee and i just looked at them both with sadness knowing they may have just a short life.

I found it very upsetting! I know this might sound strange but it's just a question?? I gave birth to 2 healthy children i went on to have my third child and she was born with heart diease! Had to have open heart surgery will never be as healthy as a normal child and her children could have the same defect , could this happen with our dogs??? myself and my family have no heart defect emily was the first born with it. just another thought and i dont want an arguement.:flwr:

Oh heck, why be coy? :) It was Veronica Hull of the Southern Cavalier Club. That is a fact, and her comments are on record, and I am sure she will firmly stand by her expressed point of view.

Why cant we get a email petion to the Irish kennel Club for a response to that program and see what they have to say to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back