• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Discussion of Pedigree Dogs Exposed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes and she is still breeding, people like this dont deserve to be in the show ring. I lost a cavalier at 2 to SM, breeders who continue to breed knowing that there dogs have SM is disgusting, they need to go and spend some time with a family with a dog with SM and see for themselves the pain and discomfort not only the dog goes through but also the family. We cant forget the good breeders out there who are doing SO much for SM, why can't everyone work together with this, it is heartbreaking it really is.

Had the same situation, the breeder that bred my Pippa that I lost at 10 months with SM went and bred her mum again even though I had informed him and his vet with papers and information about the condition. I grilled him with 100 questions about SM before I bought her having lost a previous dog with it....he took no notice, said his breeder friend said the condition didn't exist :(

I got a refund of £250 from the £550 that I paid after I demanded the money to be returned. I had to wait for the next litter to be born so that he could pay me...He still breeds, lots of them.

Alison.

My first cavalier was Pippa! and we informed the breeder, they didnt care at all, and they are still breeding, it makes me so cross. There are good breeders out there who are doing everything they can, I just get so frustrated that some breeders know what they are doing is wrong, but dont care, they cant care for the breed they just care about the money and winning.

I got a refund of £250 from the £550 that I paid after I demanded the money to be returned. I had to wait for the next litter to be born so that he could pay me...He still breeds, lots of them.
I'm afraid that's what it will take to prevent breeders from knowingly producing affected litters.By landing back the medical reports and demanding money back it might make them think twice about their actions.
If I had a kennel with good show lines and I'd discovered that an SM affected sire had been knowingly allowed to sire pups with one of my breeding bitches and this was concealed from me, I'd be sitting in my solicitor's office right now.
Sins

Karlin wrote:

BTW the breeder who was upset that Jemima Harrison questioned the breeder with the winning Malvern dog, and refused to answer any further questions at the very end, is the health representative for one of the largest UK regional clubs.

That breeder should step down from the position of health representative.
I hope club breeders with the Irish KC were watching, and that those who do not health test, will finally come out of denial regarding the prevalence and the implications of MVD and SM in our beloved breed.

Last edited:
Hi Everybody,
I am a dedicated breeder that does abide by the required health testing My stock is all MRI before breeding and i have just exported a clear stud dog to the USA to help the gene pool over there ,there ARE very responsible breeders out there good friends of mine who hold the health of the cavalier very dearly we are small in number and ofen thought of as "health nutters" but we are trying our best for the love of the breed ,i fear though we are fighting a losing battle as quite simply there is not enough of us to make the difference to save this wonderful breed :(

i fear though we are fighting a losing battle as quite simply there is not enough of us to make the difference to save this wonderful breed

First of all, it is great that there are breeders like you out there. It is sad there are not more.
Hopefully, this documentary might do something to start the ball rolling on change, and at the very least stimulate worthwhile debate on the subject. Don't give up, there is always a chink of light with which to guide your efforts.

How to move forward?

The only way forward is through legislation.

Breeders must be made to follow MVD recommendations and have the mother and father MRI scanned.

Those in the know about cavaliers can search for the pups with a better chance of a long and healthy life but those completely new to this world are so vulnerable.

I looked at 7 different litters in the South of England last year before I found a litter where the father was over 5 years old with a clear heart certificate. A basic requirement you would think. Apparently not.

The programme last night was upsetting and hard-hitting but so so necessary. What a complete star Carol Fowler is for doing all that work on her own. Does anyone have a contact email for her please? I am full of admiration.

There are a lot of greedy and corrupt people in the Cavalier world. I know this for a fact and can prove it with many emails.
Shame on those breeders for justifying their behaviour and for being too weak to take a stand: they are no doubt breeding dogs with SM and MVD and passing it on and on. All so wrong.

That woman in the programme who knowingly lied and said her winning dog did not have SM - WHAT IS GOING ON???

Legislation is the only way to move things forward.

We all watched with Pizza and Wine and we had to keep pausing and rewinding (thank goodness for sky plus). The UK Kennel Club Rep was a total idiot and such a bad liar (all those twitches and smurks).

The documentary was first class and should receive an award. Well done to Jemima for being so very gutsy .. wow superb journalism. I envy her courage and confidence.

This should be the kick up the butt the breeders have needed for a long time. The reputable breeders who do health test will be delighted as I am sure they are in the minority and with the show world being such a clique they need this support. Things are now going to turn on them and the public, now more educated will be asking TONS of questions.

I do hope there is follow on from this. We plan on doing a press release today to include asking the public to lobby government to include health screening of pedigree dogs to be included in the Animal Welfare Bill. The system already exists in Sweden to it should be easier to base our system on their one.

Agree 100% re Legislation. I hope the owners of Done Deal and Buy and Sell online were watching too.

Big round of applaus to Jemima and the production crew and BBC for airing this. What a can of worms to open!

I would love to see this show- I'm in the states and didn't have access. Karlin, can you post a link? I'm sure there's one that exists....I tried the first one you posted, but there is not a podcast listed.

Thanks.

I watched it this morning (had recorded it on my sky+ box)

It was heartbreaking, i was stunned

but what i really truely couldn't understand was the whole Ridgeback thing??

The ridge on a ridgeback is spina bifida??? and they KILL pups without this ridge?? THE HEALTHY ONES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sell the ones that are deformed cos they have the ridge, and kill the healthy ones without a ridge......... makes no sense AT ALL

arghhhh the whole thing infuriated me!!!

Absolute greed is correct i cannot believe that woman bred 26 of 32 litters knowing the dog had sm , and whatsmore denied it .
That lady Carol is so admirable, and its great to see how forward and active (some) cavalier groups are when it comes to screening health. I would certainly watch it again just to shot at the tv some more.
I must add Karlin was so informative when we adopted our two and was so helpful explaining various conditions, i still could not have imagined how devastating sm could be .
Seeing that poor dog on the floor crying out in agony , not only brought me to tears but really rammed home to me the gravity of the condition and a very good point was made that nobody brings a puppy home foreseeing this. Please god it will make potential cavalier owners wary , and ask all the right questions when they are choosing a breeder.

Well done bbc(y)

I just watched it through BBC iPlayer as well and was shocked. I knew about the problems with Cavaliers but CANNOT believe some of these breeders... such as that women who has already been mentioned, that has bred from her dog 26 times since finding out he has SM!!! This is outrageous! Her denying it was just icing on the cake!!!!!

Good on that lady Carol. What a star she is! (y)

That poor boxer as well having fits :(... and the pekingese Crufts winner :(... and the Ridgebacks!

I was shocked about the Ridgebacks too, Harry&Heidys mom.

Its one of those programmes where I am glad I watched it... but on the other hand would rather I hadnt! :(

pug passing out ?!

That poor boxer as well having fits :(... and the pekingese Crufts winner :(... and the Ridgebacks!

I found it horrific that the lady with the pug (or pekingese i don't remember which) was so blassé about the dog passing out!:mad: She was just like "oh if he gets too excited he can't breath and passes out , and then hops back up a few minutes later.." Hello? how can she attempt to normalise this ? the dog's face is clearly so flat he can't breath normally... if one of ours was laboring to breath like that, without being for a run or some kind of excercise, i'd be sitting in the vets panicking.
Certainly not passing it off as 'normal' :bang:

Youtube has now 3 segments of the broadcast and IMHO the entire show will be on there thanks to a lovely person from Ireland. I'm so glad she's doing this but so sad at what I see and definitely wanting to wring some necks :bang:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back