• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Took Dylan to vet, SM? Long post, sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

*Pauline*

Excuse my rambling but I want to get this all off my chest. I ran out of food this morning for Dylan so I thought we'd take a walk to the pet shop to get some Chappie. I mentioned in another thread that I was very worried Dylan was air scratching while walking on his harness. I hadn't seen another dog do this before I saw the preview to the documentary shown last night.

I thought Dylan only scratched for a minute at the beginning of his walk. Wellhe scratched all the way to the vets, which I pass going to the pet shop. So I pop into the vets, very upset and holding back the tears and by some fluke, the best vet who is usually fully booked was free in an hour. We continue to the pet shop, I tell the poor lady in the pet shop the whole story. Then we went to the bank, still scratching all the time. We go to the park, still on his lead, the scratching stops. We go back to the vet as an hour has passed.

Well she saw the documentary and had lots to say about it and she told me how breeders bring their dogs in for operation after operation (not Cavaliers) and how bad the Kennel Club is etc. She expects to see many Cavaliers this week. Cavaliers are the top dog in our town, we see many of them. She checked his ears of course and they are inflamed, not infected though. She said we have to rule out everything else first. So we have drops. Funny thing was, he hasn't been scratching his ears. As I'd been to the pet shop and had his food with me, she got a book out and when through all the ingredients and quantities. She said Chappie used to be rubbish but it looks great now.

Here's the important part if you don't want to read all my rambling, read this! She told me once we rule out all other causes, she can refer him to the college hospital (I think that's what she called it) about 45 minutes from me as they are doing research and, if he qualifies, he will have an MRI for free. I think, not sure, she said treatment is free too. I was worried she wouldn't know much about SM like some vets but it was like she knew I was coming.

So he is on drops now and we go back in a week. But I know his air scratching is an SM sign, as he only does this on the lead.

Thanks everyone who supported me yesterday when I was worried as I know we are all upset at the moment.

Pauline I'm so sorry to hear what you suspect.
I hope that Dylan is just scratching because of some very minor thing. Fortunately for Dylan we know you'll make sure he gets the best possible care, and that's all you can do.
Good luck with everything.

Thank you. The vet said he's lucky I'm his Mum because I love him so much and I'm so careful with him. It's all I can do.

It's a good job you ran out of food Pauline eh! otherwise you might never have known about the research programme. I hope the drops help and Dylan stops scratching :hug:

I'm sorry to read about your concerns regarding Dylan's health Pauline, I sincerely hope your fears are unfounded and that he is suffering from some minor health problem.
Please keep us updated and very best wishes to you:flwr:

Pauline, I'm so sorry to hear about your suspicions regarding Dylan. I sincerely hope that it is not SM and is curable. Great news though about the free programme nearby. If he does have this awful disease, then I hope he qualifies as it sounds as if he will have the best of medical care there. It goes without saying that he'll have the best of care at home. :flwr: You are both in my thoughts. Tx

Pauline Im so sorry to hear that you are suspecting SM in Dylan:(
This is something that every Cavalierowner is fearing to have to deal with:(

My best wishes for you.:hug:

It's a good job you ran out of food Pauline eh! otherwise you might never have known about the research programme. I hope the drops help and Dylan stops scratching :hug:

God was looking out for me today, he knows I can't cope with stress. And honestly, the vet I wanted to see is usually ALWAYS busy, a little Spanish lady who is so sweet, she baby talks to Dylan and gives him treats and kisses the whole time.

Thanks for updating us Pauline. I hope you slept ok last night :confused:

Well its good that the vet was supportive and knew her stuff. Hope it is just his ears playing up, although if it isnt then you know you have the vets support, and hopefully this college programme as well.

Big :hug:

x

Oh dear, I had no idea that you were going through this.We all think Dylan is just the most gorgeous boy and would be upset to hear of any illness.
Hopefully you can get him onto this program at the vet college and it'll answer the question of SM once and for all for you.
Sins

So sorry to hear about your worries. I know that must be horrible to suspect something like that, especially as all the fears raised by this program are top of mind.

Good luck to him and you, and lots of prayers, too.

How old is Dylan? I seem to remember you getting him right around the time we got Daisy. which is 2 years ago? Maybe I can find that out in your profile. I'll look.

So sorry to hear you're going through this, Dylan is a gorgeous dog , he really is lucky to have someone like you as a mum. My thoughts are with you. :flwr:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back