• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Took Dylan to vet, SM? Long post, sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad to hear that Dylan has perked up a bit. That must be a relief for you.
It's very kind of Margaret to go in with you, she will know exactly what to ask. I know that when I am in a situation like that my mind goes blank, I need OH to take in all the information!
I hope all goes well on Wednesday. We'll be keeping fingers and paws crossed.
:hug::hug: for you and Dylan.

Glad to hear that Dylan is feeling a bit livelier today. Not long to go now, and with Margaret there you be able to find out everything you need to know. It's really good that you have somebody going with you who knows what to ask and to keep you company at this difficult time.

:lotsaluv: Lots of love and cuddles to Dylan.

Hi Pauline glad to hear Dylan is a little better. So glad you have Margaret Carter to go with you.

In these situations I know I always get mixed up trying to take in all the info so it will be good to have someone to check with it was kind of her to offer support.

Will be thinking of you all on wednesday. Take care.

Is the MRi machine back in service yet Pauline?
Sins

I don't know, I will ring tomorrow. I still want to go just for the consultation if that's all that's available at this point as I want to get the ball rolling and know what we're dealing with. I feel like I'm doing nothing and he is scratching more and yelping sometimes.

Thanks for all your good wishes. :flwr::flwr::flwr:

Hi Pauline,
I'm new to the board, but have just skimmed through this thread. What a worry for you. I hope you at least get the consultation on Wednesday, but :xfngr: Dylan gets his scan done soon so you know one way or the other.

Take care of yourself and Dylan. What a great comfort it will be for you to have someone like Margaret going with you. She's a star.:rah:

Pauline - dont beat yourself up. You are doing ALL you can for him and we are all here for you. Now go and give him a gentle cuddle from me.:lotsaluv:

He didn't do this when I first went to the vet. How fast will things develop?

Don't forget, you still need a confirmation about what you are dealing with, and what is causing these symptoms. So hang in there and you'll know a lot more hopefully by mid-week. :flwr:

SM is highly variable so it is really hard to know what might be progression and what is just the different sensations produced by the same level of the condition.

With scratching -- my dogs can go through phases of scratching a lot then hardly scratching at all. Changes in weather -- towards rain and shifting pressure -- definitely can make symptoms worse for Leo. Both dogs scratch when excited, some of the time (that is what always made me suspicious about Lily; it is one of those real SM things as excitement increases the CSF pressure and that can cause uncomfortable sensations and thus, scratching; so I hung on to her trying to gauge whether it did look like symptoms rather than just occasional normal behaviour). Leo always scratches a lot more the first couple of days after I get back from a trip, because he gets really excited to see me and that unfortunately has a knock on effect for him for a day or two on.

I've found two things to be very true with SM: first, when you are watching carefully to see if things are getting worse or if you are right in thinking you see new symptoms, it is very hard to tell and you doubt yourself all the time. Second, things tend to progress so subtly that you don't notice that things really are quite a bit worse until something happens to make it really stand out. That's why a diary and videos really help. It can be quite shocking to suddenly realise how much things have progressed and you cannot imagine how you failed to notice it. That has happened for me with both Leo and Lily -- you just get used to the incremental changes then one day you realise your dogs has scratched off a whole outer layer of ear hair (Leo) or cannot get through an obedience class without scratching every time she gets excited (Lily).

It is a very strange condition. Leo was having more discomfort back at the start of summer than he is having now-- maybe due to weather. Also I trimmed about 2-3 inches off the length of his ears and that seems to have helped -- maybe the weight of them? But maybe it is just coincidence.

Thanks Karlin, I think I must missed how much Dylan was air scratching on the lead. You can tell this from my first post about it, not on this thread, compared to the day after the BBC documentary when a walk to town was so bad, we walked straight into the vets and were seen within the hour.

The face wiping is definitely recent. Even my daughter said he didn't do that a month ago. And the scratching has gone from his ears to his head. This week he just sits there and his leg sort of twitches into half an air scratch.

A while ago I posted about him being spaced out in front of his food, a short time passed and he ate ok. After that he was jumping on and off my lap and screaming. He hasn't done that since but yelps more now.

If you aren't doing this, try raising his food and water dishes so he doesn't have to hang his head down to reach them.

So sorry to hear these various things are happening to cause you worry.

best wishes for dylans scan.
hes a stunning looking boy,alot like my first cavalier with his lightly marked long coat.

Pauline best of luck with Dylan on Wednesday. Hope all goes well. Will be thinking of you. He is such a stunning cavalier I always love to see photos of him!

Pauline just wanted to say good luck with Dylan on Wednesday. Margaret will be a great support. Hope all goes well.

I haven't been reading for quite a while (out of town) and I am so sorry to read of Dylan's pain and your anguish Pauline. I will be keeping good thoughts for both of you on Wednesday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back