Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cavs and cats?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cavs and cats?

Does anyone here have experience of owning Cavs and cats together? I'm adopting an elder Cav from the RSPCA in Swansea. I've never owned a dog before, and have two cats. I've been told that Cavs are good with cats. Does anyone have any advice/experience to share? I'd be very grateful .

Oops, sorry, my bad. Just found a post about this subject whilst exploring the forum.

Post Thanks / Like

I have two cats; 13yrs and 11 months. My cavy is 5 months, so being a puppy, she had no aversion to cats. The old cat has nothing to do with the dog and the dog 'gets' it ..they are indifferent to each other. The younger cat plays with the dog. The dog plays with GREAT enthusiasm and sometimes I wonder if it is too hard. The cat does have his claws and places to escape to so I haven't interfered too much.

That's my experience but yours will be different. Your dog will be older; is it used to cats? Do your cats have experience with dogs?

Post Thanks / Like

My older Cav is perfect with our cat, they get along. Ollie just likes to chase her around....but Pebbles the cat seems to like the game, for the most part. She loses her patience every now and again and retreats to the cabinets.
    Trisha in Southwest Florida
    Cavaliers: Casey, Ollie, & Winston and usually a foster or two! Cats: Pebbles & Benson

Post Thanks / Like

We recently brought 4 rescue cats into our home, one of whom has gone on to have kittens (!!), our two cavs have not batted an eyelid and they all live together very happily.
    Our cavs especially enjoy the leftover cat food !

Post Thanks / Like

We have two cavs, a terrier and six cats. Mostly everybody gets on well but we supervise them closely. Abigail will chase one of the cats when she's given a chance and two of the cats are terrible dog chasers.
    Stephen 3 Cavs - Cody, Abigail & Jasmine, Gavin the terrier and the cats - Buffy, Kendra, Thomas, Caleb, Robin & Cadbury, the Geckos - Crane, Poole, Schmidt, Amber, Seven, Eleven, Thirteen, Ivy, Gretchen, Darcy, Ari, Zeva, Claude & Claudine, Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, Delta, Dov, Ronia, Netanya

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

There's a post somewhere in the Library section on cats and cavaliers too.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, everyone. I'm pretty sure they'll all get used to each other.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Siani View Post
    Does anyone here have experience of owning Cavs and cats together? I'm adopting an elder Cav from the RSPCA in Swansea. I've never owned a dog before, and have two cats. I've been told that Cavs are good with cats. Does anyone have any advice/experience to share? I'd be very grateful .

Oops, sorry, my bad. Just found a post about this subject whilst exploring the forum.
    Is it Clancy
    ---Aileen and the gang (Barney---Jazzie----Sam)
    Cavaliers at the bridge Mattie and Rocky& Sam
    Better to light a candle for one lost dog than to curse the darkness of man's indifference.Saving just one dog won't change the world but it surely will change the world for that one dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, it's Clancy .

Post Thanks / Like

---Aileen and the gang (Barney---Jazzie---Sam)
    Cavaliers at the bridge Mattie and Rocky& Sam
    Better to light a candle for one lost dog than to curse the darkness of man's indifference.Saving just one dog won't change the world but it surely will change the world for that one dog.