• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Cavs and cats?

Siani

Does anyone here have experience of owning Cavs and cats together? I'm adopting an elder Cav from the RSPCA in Swansea. I've never owned a dog before, and have two cats. I've been told that Cavs are good with cats. Does anyone have any advice/experience to share? I'd be very grateful :).

Oops, sorry, my bad. Just found a post about this subject whilst exploring the forum.

I have two cats; 13yrs and 11 months. My cavy is 5 months, so being a puppy, she had no aversion to cats. The old cat has nothing to do with the dog and the dog 'gets' it ..they are indifferent to each other. The younger cat plays with the dog. The dog plays with GREAT enthusiasm and sometimes I wonder if it is too hard. The cat does have his claws and places to escape to so I haven't interfered too much.

That's my experience but yours will be different. Your dog will be older; is it used to cats? Do your cats have experience with dogs?

My older Cav is perfect with our cat, they get along. Ollie just likes to chase her around....but Pebbles the cat seems to like the game, for the most part. She loses her patience every now and again and retreats to the cabinets.

We recently brought 4 rescue cats into our home, one of whom has gone on to have kittens (!!), our two cavs have not batted an eyelid and they all live together very happily.
Our cavs especially enjoy the leftover cat food !

We have two cavs, a terrier and six cats. Mostly everybody gets on well but we supervise them closely. Abigail will chase one of the cats when she's given a chance and two of the cats are terrible dog chasers.

Does anyone here have experience of owning Cavs and cats together? I'm adopting an elder Cav from the RSPCA in Swansea. I've never owned a dog before, and have two cats. I've been told that Cavs are good with cats. Does anyone have any advice/experience to share? I'd be very grateful :).

Oops, sorry, my bad. Just found a post about this subject whilst exploring the forum.
Is it Clancy
---Aileen and the gang (Barney---Jazzie----Sam)

:rah::rah::rah::jump::jump::rah::rah::rah:
---Aileen and the gang (Barney---Jazzie---Sam)

Have a look at Karlin's own pics - one of her cats thinks he is a cavalier he is completely besotted by them!

My Maxx is wary of cats, due to almost losing an eye to one in our garden when he was a puppy but he will make friends with them and has a Persian friend that we meet on our walks - the Persian apparently never leaves his garden until he sees Maxx coming and then he leaps the fence to rub alongside Maxx LOL

Charlie however came to me with this 'guarantee' of loving cats.... All I can say is given the chance he'd love to eat one! When the Persian comes to rub, Charlie is held on a VERY tight lead LOL

Anastasia was already a year old when we introduced her to Scooter who was about 9 months old. Scooter's foster mom was afraid he wouldn't do well with a dog, and Anastasia had never met a cat before. the first two days were....tense. but no one tried to hurt each other. Anastasia was curious and Scooter was in defense mode. after that, Scooter is in love with Anastasia and always wants to hang on her, play with her, cases her, cuddle with her, etc. Anastasia could care less about him, which I think is funny. she's incredibly tolerant and all she does is nip at him when she's had enough, and he just head butts her. ::sigh:: he doesn't get it at all. cavs and cats can do great together:)

Thanks for all the advice :). As Clancy is an older dog, with poor eyesight, I've been told that it's unlikely he will present a problem to the cats. He's unlikely to chase them. I just hope the cats aren't mean to him! One of my cats, Leo, is a bit of a beast - my friends call him Pitbull Cat, as he's big, chunky and unpredictable. But I'm sure I can moderate, and keep all parties safe. Clancy seems to be utterly unconcerned by anything other than food and walkies!

Hi

And welcome i have three Cavs and two Cats and they all get along fine and i had the Cats before the Cavs.

I have a 6 year old cat, Poppy & an 18 month old cat, Tilly & we adopted Maddy (Cav) last October & they all get on just fine! Maddy showed a little interest in them when we first brought her home but it was just curiosity really. They all love to chase butterflies together & my younger cat likes to sleep curled up next to Maddy :lotsaluv: Poppy found it easier to accept Maddy than she did Tilly (who's nickname is "Tilly Terror!" :rolleyes: )

I have 3 male Cavs, 1 male cat & 2 female cats. The male cat thinks he's a dog and hangs out with the boys. I have a room for the cats only. That way they have a place to chill and the dogs can't get at their food or litter. They all get along fine. :lotsaluv:

Back