• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Daisys Vet Visit

Brian M

Hi
After that programme what a nerve wrecking but necessary visit this morning ,fortunately it was nothing today with either SM or MVD .We had a weeks hols last week in the Wye Valley and just took Rosie so Poppy and Daisy and the cats went to their
respective Kennels/Cattery but over the last few days Daisy has had an upset tummy and 3.00 am bouts of let me out to go to the toilet so a visit to see Mr Marsden was necessary and with a long week-end coming i thought better safe than suffer .So he gave her a thorough all over exam and checked her heart ,so my heart goes straight into my throat, and prescribed some anti -biotics for her tummy ,so i know every future vet visit with any of the girls will now be an ordeal especially with myself being so new to the breed and with all the girls being under Two i am now on a fast learning curve and just hope like everybody else that the future will not be what seems to be the general forecast for this wonderful breed of dog .My vet did mention the BBC programme but advised that in his experience most if not all Cavs after the age of 5 do develop a heart condition but the severity is variable but the incidences of SM are so far in his experience of 30 yrs plus still quite rare but developing .So i suppose all the Cavalier owners who like me are just animal people and keep these wonderful dogs for the pleasure they give so generously can do is keep on reading the forums and take as much advice from Karlin and all the other
expert members that post here .Thinking back to when i bought my first Cav ie Poppy ,the decision was made two years ago this bank holiday after we lost our unique ginger cat Ben ,but being so totally ignorant of all things Cavalier and forum wise i thought i was doing ever so right by checking on the K.C website puppy availability list in hindsight it seems was i oh so wrong to take this approach but not knowing, what should i have done ? and was my route to Cavalier ownership the same path hundreds if not thousands of people have taken past present and future .
I don't think i even knew of the existence of any Cavalier Clubs as such so i was so totally reliant and trusting of the Kennel Club to point me in the right direction and are there ever any prospective owners ever aware of the questions that need to be asked of breeders or to new owners is that just too complicated a thing to do when most just want a cuddly Cav NOW. Thinking back and being a very impetuous person once Dawn had agreed for us to have a Cav I was phoning around that very day and all i was concerned about was what color how much and when can i collect ,if only i had known.
But instead of being so down hearted and uptight my three are all as now fit ,active and super and i wouldn't change anything but next time it will be so different , i also hope that when i do decide to add that it would so wonderful if there was such a thing as a Recommended Data base held somewhere of all available puppies that meet the strict criteria that Karlin and all the other Cavalier breeders /experts advise is so necessary so even basic pet owners like myself would be able to go there and also point any other prospective owners to only view that available puppy list whose parents and grand parents have been vetted to an approved level .
Just another question pls Dawn has just phoned me and said Daisy has just had another bout of diarrhea but this had about 3 tea spoons of blood in it ,just phoned the vet and now the next appointment is Fri pm ,would this be OK or shall i push as an emergency ? and sorry i may have posted in the wrong place.

Brian, don't feel bad. We have all been there. I am thankful that I found this forum while researching the best breed of dog for us at this time of life. I am sure your girls will be just fine.

Re the blood in the stool, I would get her in right away. I haven't had this experience yet thankfully, but I myself would feel it was an emergency if it was bright red blood in her stool.

Let us know how the appointment goes!

H i Brian how did you get on in the vets this evening? I hope its nothing too serious.When I had to take Alex to the vet on Monday I had spotted some blood in his stool,then as the day went on it became more frequent and no doubt I was terrified but it was just a little stomach infection he's almost back to his gorgeous little self.Hope you have good news for us :xfngr:

Hi babs

I managed to give Daisy her tablet this morning at the fifth time of trying (boy is that fun they are crafty little dogs ) so i disappeared of to work and phoned Dawn at home every hour for an update ,It seemed that sleep was the order of the day so at 2 pm i cancelled but made sure i knew i could get an emergency vet over the long week-end if needed .Home about 5 pm then with Luke off to the Wirral Way which is a protected coastal walk and onto the sands and the girls were off Rosie tempts Daisy into catch me if you can chases so thankfully they all looked fine but for Daisy's tea i still kept to egg white ,chicken and a bit of white fish and she slept well last night so fingers crossed all is fine , so many thanks for your concern and best wishes and i am so glad Alex is a
lot better but its so worrying and nerve wracking definately worse than when my kids were young at least they could speak and these little babies can only look at you with their big eyes.

Thanks

Bri

Ah thank goodness it was nothing too serious.Like you said its not like they can tell you well when they feel poorly so its a worry when they become unwell.Im also a basic pet owner and sometimes I feel that I know nothing about looking after Alex yet I do as I'm learning as I go along thanks to this board and all the members.I've had to crush Alex's tablets all week and spoon feed him it to him cos he's a cheeky monkey,he spits it right out,doesnt taste like chicken eh!Glad of the good news:)

Not only have they big eyes,they're big,brown and sad as in no loves me so you better love me lots and guess what WE DO:lotsaluv:

Hi

It was Poppys turn this time at 4.00 A M to get us up so she can go out to the toilet , it looks as if all three now have this horrible bug ,and there seems so many other posts just now about the same problem this August Diarrhea bug.

Hi

Poppy woke us again but this time at 5.30 am and unfortunately by the time we get down to her she had had a little accident in the crate ,so i now have another vets appointment at 10.10 this morning and i am taking all three .:(:(:(

Hi

The vet put them all on anti-biotics with the dose varying on size and to take them all back on Sat morning and to keep them on a bland diet ,she also weighed them and confirmed my weights of 7.0 kg for Daisy and Rosie but Poppy at 12.5 kg still needs to lose weight .Whatever this bug is i have never had a pet suffer for this length of time before i just hope this lot of tablets finally clears everything up even though the girls are not showing any signs of illness of discomfort it cant be nice for them.

Hi

Slowly getting there ,Daisy and Rosie have firmed up and Poppys improving so by the time we go back to the vets on Sat morning they should all be OK but i will continue with the tablets as instructed . Do infections like this last this long (its been 2 weeks) or is it because i have 3 that maybe the bug has just bounced around off them ,and in the future if anything similar happens would it be advisable to take all three to the vets together as i presume like kids if one gets it they all do.

I have the afternoon off work to mind Luke who is 13 tomorrow and the girls as my wife Dawn had a quite bad leg infection 2 months ago so shes
gone into hospital at lunch today for an operation on both legs (under local anesthetic) at 4.00 pm today,she should be OK to come home about 8.00 as the op lasts 2 hours and shes been informed that she should be up and around within an hour or two ,so fingers crossed all goes alright pls.

God you have your hands full this week or so.I hope your wife recovers well after her op.Hopefully your little girls recover soon too.Make sure you spoil your wife cos she wont be able to run around after you lot :) Best wishes for your sons birthday 2moro :jump:

Hi
Well not a good afternoon ,dawn was admitted at midday and the nurse thought she was first on the list for one o clock ,of course this was wrong she went to theatre at 4.40 pm i had a phone call to go up at 6.45 pm.
The procedure turned out not nice and excruciating painful the consultant indicated he would treat the problem veins by laser under local anesthetic but he changed his mind and decided to strip them out but still only under local anesthetic.It turned out that it was so traumatizing and painful that even with all the local she had she could feel the veins being pulled out of her leg and after only one leg being 25 % done because of the high trauma happening ,Dawn said even her teeth were chattering with fright ,the doctor wanted to stop but she persevered and had the one leg done .The other is in six weeks but under a general anesthetic ,so just as she was just resting before being allowed home one of the wounds started seeping a lot of blood so the nurse had to recall the consultant who had gone home , he came back and said it was an old blood clot coming away but to go home and ring if anything else happens during the night, so unfortunately poor Dawn has to go throgh the same thing in six weeks but this time under a general .

And then to top it Daisy went to the loo and i thought she was hardening but shes gone all sloppy again ,they all go back on Sat morning so do i carry on with the tablets or knock them off apart from Poppy.

Help
Brian

Your poor wife what an afternoon eh! I wouldnt take any of the girls off their medicine before contacting your vet first.Better to be safe than sorry it might take a few days longer than you anticipated for them to get over the sickness.Think of it like yourself on antibiotics if you dont finish the course the infection shall more than likely return at some stage.Just hang in there its 2 days till Saturday (y)

Hi

And good morning and what a difference a day and a nights sleep makes ,this morning Dawn seems a lot brighter and more cheerful and the girls seem a lot better ,not that this bug seemed to make them ill,plus its Lukes 13 birthday today so we all have to be Happier.:):):)

Brian you have a lot on your plate at the moment. I hope that Dawn heals soon. I'm glad to hear that she's feeling a bit brighter today. :hppybdy: Luke. Hope the girls are feeling a bit better and that the trip to the vet goes well tomorrow.

Oh my goodness, that was really foolish of the Doctor to make her go through that under a local. Sounds like she was in shock poor Dawn :hug:

Back