• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Timeline

frecklesmom

I keep thinking that I would like a time line of the history of Cavalier King Charles Spaniels that not only has the beginning of the breed in the UK but it's beginnings in other countries and the timing of the introduction of the worst of the maladies the breed suffers. I'm trying to understand, in a package, when medical problems were first recognized and when diagnostic availabilities were first available. Does this exist somewhere? does anyone know? Maybe this is boring to most.

There are several breed histories but nothing with information on health issues on a timeline. I do Geoff Skerritt claims he saw the first indication of SM in a cavalier in the 1970s.

At that time did he diagnose SM or was it more awareness of neurological disease? Before MRI's in UK were their definitive dx of SM and, if so, I would imagine by xray and necropsy. When did MRI's become available in UK and Ire.
Seems to me there is no excuse for the behaviors of neglect evidenced in the film.
MVD Is there opportunity there for the low cost scanning that is currently
more and more available with cardiologists at Club sights here? With the often misdiagnosed heart murmurs by primary vets, I can see how easy it would be to miss murmurs in breeding stock unless cardiologists were available and breeders made use of them. When was the flag raised to note to all owners that SM and MVD were highly prevalent and testing was indicated? I can't imagine issues weren't broadcast within the Clubs, if nothing else.
In some ways, I find the despicable puppy mill owner more honest than the deceitful breeder, although the degree is hardly significant.
Trying to understand what has been done to these wonderful creatures. If I only knew Black Magick-all rotten breeders would suffer the exact pains that their puppies will suffer throughout life.

Back