• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Heart murmur, chiari and sm

SuEm

I'm new on here and thought I'd just tell you........

EMMA
Emma is 8 and was diagnosed with a heart murmur several years ago. She also has epilepsy although she has only ever had a couple of fits as the medication seems to control it well. Then 18 months ago I happened to come across the smcavaliertalk website and recognised the behaviour of sm that she has had for much of her life but we'd just put down to Emma being Emma.

We got her when she was 5 months old from someone who didn't want her. She'd been kept in a kitchen apart from an hour a night when she was allowed in the lounge! She went berserk when we brought her home as she just had free run of the house. She's really naughty and loves toilet paper, soap and plastic. We've stopped her going after wires!!

She does the neck scratching quite a lot and howling. She's had MRI scans and they confirmed the chiari syndrome, sm and there is fluid retention. She was put on frusemide along with her others meds vasotop, vetmedin, rimadyl and epiphen.

We definitely feel that her symptoms have decreased a little and it seems to be being managed ok. She seems happy of herself and not in as much pain as she was. It's certainly plateaued and for that we are thankful. She's my baby and I would hate to see her suffering.

SU
Su is 13 years of age, 14 in January! She's doing fantastic. She has skin atopy - allergies; cystitis as her urine can be too acidic; a cataract so can't see out of her left eye; arthritis - her legs especially have deteriorated in the last month or so. Even with all this she is a very happy little doggy :) She's always hated going out for walks and is just happy to sleep on the sofa or on the rather large king size bed she thinks she owns (as all cavaliers do!). She wags her tail all the time and even though life is getting harder because of the arthritis (we now lift her up and down the stairs and onto the bed and sofa - we have always had very large bean blocks to help her step on to the sofa/bed) she's just very happy in our little world! We just found earlier this year that she has a slight heart murmur but being nearly 14 I think she's doing exceptionally well! We have always said she was born old! As long as she's happy thats all that matters!

LADY
Lady was a ruby and died when she was 7 of congestive heart failure in 2002. She was diagnosed with MVD and she deteriorated very quickly so within 10 months of being diagnosed with a heart murmur she died. She was my first baby and the most loyal dog you could ever have.

I just hate to see cavaliers suffering with these diseases, shortening their lives. We couldn't ask for a better best friend!
Judith

Judith, your dogs sound adorable. I'm sorry they are poorly but glad they sound very happy in themselves. Would love to see pictures when you work out how to do it, it took me a while!

Judith - I loved reading about your girls. Glad you were able to find out what was going on with Emma and get some relief. Su is amazing!!! And I'm so sorry to hear about Lady.

I've put some piccies in the "Introduce yourself" section.

Thanks for all your comments.

Judith
:)

Back