Thread: MRI scans...

Post Thanks / Like

Question MRI scans...

I've been thinking about this a lot since seeing the programme....

Would it be wise, or useful to just take the dogs and get an MRI done even if there are no symptoms as yet... but just incase there is anything abnormal, it can be caught quickly? Is it possible to do that? Would there be a point to it?

Am I just overreacting here? I'm not sure I am. Holly is 1 year old now, and Murphy is between 2.5 and 3 years (he's my wee rescue boy so not sure exactly how old).

I know it may mean we need to get them MRI'd again at a later stage as well.

I know everyone is a bit panicky etc at the moment, and I'm not sure if I am just getting myself all worked up here. But I feel like I am completely watching the dogs a lot more closely than I had done previously!

I'm a real worry wart!
    Ashley, with Holly and Murphy

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'd not put a dog through an MRI -- which requires general anaesthesia -- unless there's a reason to do so. A good reason might be

• concern about potential symptoms and referral by a vet
    • scanning breeding dogs
    • scanning for research if there's pedigree information
    • feeling strongly that you need to know status

Given that a large number of asymptomatic dogs will show a syrinx, it comes down to whether you feel you want to know this is the case. In my own case, as a pet owner I would -- and have -- MRI my dogs for research and/or out of concern at possible symptoms. That is how I learned Leo had SM and I was able to start him on frusemide long before he was symptomatic. That may or may not have been helpful to him in allowing him now to reach age 5 with a very good quality of life, just on gabapentin for some scratching and some pain. Most people would never guess he has SM.

On the other hand I have not scanned my other two. If I again went over to the UK for low cost scanning on my boys, I would probably have Lily done as well. But that is a different context to just deciding to scan.

It really comes down to personal choice and what you would do with the information.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Karlin. I'm not making any rash decisions or anything, but had been thinking about it and wondered if it was something to be considered.
    Ashley, with Holly and Murphy

Post Thanks / Like

I presume that an insurance company wouldn't pay out to MRI scan an asymptomatic dog. Would that be right?
    Proud member of The Spaniel Trust - putting the trust back into spaniels.
    A Charity registered in Scotland SC038987

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

No I don't think they would pay out Fran. You would struggle to get your vet to refer you anyway.

The only way you could do it would be to have one done at a low cost MRI centre

http://www.thecavalierclub.co.uk/start.html

Cavalier Health
    Syringomyelia
    Reduced Cost MRI Scanning Scheme & Centres

Chestergates is now about £270

HTH
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org