• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

KC: '90% of purebreds are healthy'

Karlin

Administrator
Staff member
This is the figure the Kennel Club has been quoting to counter Jemima Harrison's Pedigree Dogs Exposed.

The club secretary is stating this on radio and TV, and a new KC website set up to respond to the programme states this too.

They must not read their own breed health surveys, then.

According to this blog:

Ms. Kisko is quoted on The Kennel Club's apology site as saying that "90 percent of dogs will not suffer from health problems that have a detrimental impact on their quality of life."

[snip]

You can read The Kennel Club's own web site and find the results of their own breeder's survey (PDF).

In that survey The Kennel Club notes that "Health information was reported for 36,006 live dogs, of which 22,540 (62.6%) were healthy, and 13,466 (37.4%) had at least one reported health condition."

More than 37% of dogs had "at least one" health condition???

Wow!

That certainly implies the club is plucking figures that do not reflect what its own members report back to it. It also suggests that there is a very high rate of breeders within the club who are not fully health focused, which was the implication of the film.

And it underlines something that so many state over and over: do NOT take mere club registration, be it CKC, IKC, AKC, CKCSC or KC as a sign that the breeder is OK. having a proper registration is only the starting point in finding a good breeder. A club registration only means the basics are there, just as possession of a valid driving license does not mean a person is a good, safe driver.

However it is also very important to understand that the best place to get a cavalier puppy remains a health-focused club breeder. I believe this 100%. I said this on radio and I will say it again here: the problem is not breeders. The problem is some breeders. Perhaps many breeders. But not all breeders.

Breeders who do focus on health always will be working to breed away from known issues in a breed, and will follow good breeding practice.

As always, finding a reputable breeder takes time. The same excellent breeders are still out there, just as they were before this documentary aired. It takes time to research breeders and find them. :) Do not take health or testing or what a breeder says or posts on their website for granted. ASK for certificates and discuss their breeding programme.

If you want to understand what to ask for regarding SM and whether a breeder scans and if so, what the scans mean, read this:

http://sm.cavaliertalk.com/breeding/breeding/puppies.html

What remains absolutely true is the WORST place to get a puppy is from a casual breeder in the neighbourhood mating pet dogs, from internet sites that sell a range of puppies, from brokers, from small ads, from breeders that make it look as if they are doing some of the basics but a little questioning shows they are not; from breeders who proudly state they breed 'only pets' so 'everyone can have a cavalier'.

USE YOUR HEAD AND YOUR HEART!

The KC in an attempt to maintain its image has spent money to put up a PR website. I wonder who didn't check the health figures, and further how soon corrections will be updated on the PR site.

I don't think the KC can speak for what happens in the individual breed clubs nor in the regional breed clubs, nor for that matter with individual breeders. So why try to pull the wool over our eyes again?

We all want kennel club registrations to mean something - whether it be KC, AKC, CKC, and all the others. Why don't they start addressing that problem?

Back