Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Hairiest Dog in the World... grooming help!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default The Hairiest Dog in the World... grooming help!!!

I have a few questions...

First, how often do you bathe? I generally just brush after walks because I heard it's not great for their skin to bathe too often, and I didn't want to upset the balance. I might only actually give him a bath every two months or so.

Second, who clips? I really love Dougal's full coat, and I'm into a routine brushing it every day now but my God he is HAIRY. The worst parts are his armpits, which he won't let me brush. Usually because it does get knotted under there and obviously hurts when I brush! Also I worry about the hair interfering with his feet and his nails. I find it hard to find his dew claws for example! Is there any health reason to clip or should it be ok if he's regularly brushed??

Third, what sort of a brush do you use?

Finally, here he is in all his glory (we did trim his ears because they were just going into EVERYTHING! They're at a manageable length at the moment)

Punk rocker style...

Hairy legs
    Cecily, owned by Dougal (B&T boy, age 2) and Dora (Blenheim female, age 2, rescue)

Cavaliers at the bridge, much missed and not forgotten: Aggie (tricolour female) and Rio (Blenheim female) and Tandie (ruby female)

Post Thanks / Like

Heh heh, half teddy bear,half dog!
    He's still got to grow some hair to catch up on my mother's dog parker.She wants to clip him, Dad says no!
    All I can suggest is professional groomer about three or four times a year for washing and dematting.A good groomer can dematt without too much traum and hair loss.Personally I wouldn't trim him, he is a real looker with all that lovely feathering.
    For my own lassie I think I'll get a drying coat for her as I wash her approx every three weeks.She's a real mudlark in the woods.
    Sins

Post Thanks / Like

Ha Ha..and I thought my Pippin was hairy! Dougal looks so cute like a little teddybear.

Pippins underarms ara a nightmare the other areas that knot are his ears and bum.

I had to cut his bum hair quiet short as he used to suffer from colitis...no need to go into disgusting detail!

I usually brush everyday,bath every couple of months or so( thats the dogs not me!) and when I want to do underarms I wait until evening when he is lying beside me tired out then I use the comb and the scissors to cut out bad matts, he has so much hair you don't notice it missing and it grows back pretty quick.

I wouldn't trust any groomer with my dogs!

I'm still smiling at how hairy Dougal is...so cute.
    Gus(blenhiem) Pippin(tri) DJ(ruby)

Rayleigh, Southend-On-Sea, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh my goodness I LOVE him, send him over here for a big cuddle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by *Pauline*; 26th August 2008 at 12:51 AM.
    Dylan, Poppy & Kipling's
    *''' ' "*Mummy`` "*'
    ,'*" "*'

Post Thanks / Like

Dougal has the sort of coat I worship from afar but know I couldn't cope with long term

I give my guys a proper bath every couple of months but I wash their feet and feathering at least twice a week because they tend to pee on them selves, I keep their 'trousers' short for the same reason
    Stephen 3 Cavs - Cody, Abigail & Jasmine, Gavin the terrier and the cats - Buffy, Kendra, Thomas, Caleb, Robin & Cadbury, the Geckos - Crane, Poole, Schmidt, Amber, Seven, Eleven, Thirteen, Ivy, Gretchen, Darcy, Ari, Zeva, Claude & Claudine, Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, Delta, Dov, Ronia, Netanya

Post Thanks / Like

It is hard to tell from the pictures, but have you used something to strip out the dead hair? This is so much nicer looking than a shave down and it makes their fur glisten.

Post Thanks / Like

Good point Sandy. I've noticed that black & tans are sooo hairy!! My little black & tan foster a few months back had to be the hairest little girl I've ever seen. A furminator or mars coat king would help thin out his coat a bit. Jake hates having the knots at his backside combed, so I keep his backside trimmed. Easier on him and easier on me. When Abby (b&t foster) came to me she had horrible mats behind her front legs. My groomer cut them out and you'd never know she'd been trimmed. She was so hairy it all just blended in together.
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Post Thanks / Like

Wow....Dougal is gorgeous!!! I have a 14 week old blk and tan and really really hope she gets really hairy like him.He is soooo handsome.....u lucky soul!LOL

My blenhiem is fairly hairy too and i also had the armpit problem with her so i trim under the arm pits with scissors when she sleeps on my lap on her back!I am sure her harness aids in the matts under her arm pits!!!

I brush twice a day religiously and esp after walks in the trails we go to. I bath once a month and try to stick to it....but seeing as she is blenhiem and has lots of white i sometimes have to rinse her in the shower if she is really dirty.

I use a sensitive pin slicker brush and a comb....and any knots I just cut with scissors.Although Lucie hates being brushed.....alot!!!

I also trim between the toes and the hair on the bottom of her feet as she slides along the laminate with it.....infact she went to the groomers for a "trim" and asked to take very little from her feet and I collected her 2 hours later with NO SLIPPERS around her feet....i so wanted to cry but hopefully it wont be long till they are bak

Oh and a wee bit of perfume doesnt go a miss too take away the doggie smell!!! lol
    Leesa
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    Lucie (Blenhiem) 8th Feb 2006
    Sasha(blk n tan) 19th May 2008

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, Dougal has a lovely fluffy-foofy coat! He is adorable.
    Marianne
    Mom to Dottie, and our precious rescue, Claire-Bear

Post Thanks / Like

OMG - Dougal is sooooo cute! Id love to give him a big squeeze

I think his paws in the last picture are hilarious - he's such a big furmonster

I would fid it very hard to resist cuddling him all day long
    Mam to Millie, Chloe & Rex
    Baby boy Jack (waiting at the bridge) xxxxx