• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

What exactly is SM?

JudyG

I know I'm going to seem a bit dumb here, but I'd never heard of SM before I joined this site. I have had Maddy since October & she appears to be very healthy. She's about 3 years old & was picked up by the pound :(. I wasn't looking for any breed in particular, I just wanted a cat friendly dog. Now obviously I have no background on her & so don't know which breeder she came from etc... She was in good shape when she was found & is very well trained so someone cared for her. My point is, how would I know if she had/got it? what are the symptoms? & does it affect dogs when they reach a certain age? I love her so much & whatever happens to her in the future I would gladly care for her. I'm just a little concerned. Judy x ps. I didn't see the TV programme on the BBC everyone is talking about.

I know I'm going to seem a bit dumb here, but I'd never heard of SM before I joined this site

Quite the contrary!! Many people who obtain Cavaliers as pets aren't aware of SM when they get their dog. Lots of them end up here looking for information.

Karlin has set up a great site that has tons of information:

http://sm.cavaliertalk.com/

All the symptoms and what to watch out for are listed.

If your dog looks healthy, that's good! :) Of the dogs that do have SM, it seems so far that most will not show symptoms of this problem during their lifetime. But responsible owners will want to know what to watch for, especially as many symptoms are similar to more common problems and so you want to be aware of SM symptoms for situations where a vet cannot find a cause or symptoms keep recurring.

There's slots of information here in the Library section under Health, and also at my Sm website (link above). If your vet isn't familiar with SM, you can print out three of the documents there (they are noted as being downloadable) and give them to them for their files, as the info might help another cavalier.

If you want to watch the documentary, it is here in 6 parts: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=pedigree+dogs+exposed&search_type=&aq=f

Back