• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Puppy coat with dandruff

leesanlucie

Hi All
My 14 week old puppy seems to have some dandruff appearing on her coat....easily seen as she is black and tan.:(
I can see it on her skin when i go through it.
She is fed on JWB puppy food and has had no treats of any kind yet and has not had a bath yet as she is still small.
Other than the white dandruff her coat is beautiful.....silky and glossy not dry.It just seems to be her skin.
Any ideas on anything i can use or give her to help???

She doesnt seem itchy or bothered so any help would be great
Will pop to vet and get an appointment just to be sure.

TIA

Sally had this exact same problem when we first brought her home at 12 weeks old. She had dandruff and her skin seemed dry and itchy. We took her to the vet who said it was 'walking dandruff' which is caused by a mite. He gave us 'Advocate' spot on which we put on after bathing and drying her. It worked perfectly and she is now 18 months and has had no further problems. We also feed Sally on JWB adult. Hope this problem gets better I'm sure your vet will have some good advice.

It is worth having the vet look at it -- if your puppy isn't bothered and scratchy, I'd just have them take a look next time you are in. If it starts to look bothersome, then do go in right away as it could well be 'walking dandruff', the mites.

Lots of puppies have dry or dandruffy skin though -- seems to just go away of its own accord.

Hey, thanks guys for the quick response!!!

I wil nip in to the vet tomorrow after depositing the kiddies to school!

:xfngr:its not walking dandruff!!! But if so the dogs cats and rabbits!

Will let you know!
Thanks again!

We had the same problem, and Amie is also B&T, so it was very obvious. The vet simply said it was probably as a result of her being so young, and the change in diet. He applied a topical solution in case of mites.

Anyway, she cleared up by by the time she was about 15 weeks old.

Our vet suggested oil of evening primrose. You can break the capsule over their food. It worked for daisy Boo.

Back from vet.
I have to call back in the afternoon to see if the scraping that was taken is walking dandruff.

I have a shampoo to use once a week and i asked about evening primrose oil and was told i could try that also.

So can anyone let me know what strength?and how much of the capsule to break over her food?? Sasha is 14 weeks old at the moment.....any help is much appreciated!

Thanks guys!
(y)

Jeez, I can't remember what strength to use. I just used the ordinary capsules you get for human consumption. Vet said to break about half a capsule in every day.

Leesa, did you call back at the vets for the skin scraping result? I was just wondering how it went. Hope the problem is better soon

Hey Shippers

Been to vet last nite and no sign of walking dandruff.:rah:
So I have a shampoo to use once a week for 2 weeks and then re-assess....unless it gets alot worse.
Have been advised about evening primrose oil but sligtly wary of over dosing her on it.:confused:
WAs just going to get the lowest strength I could and give her half a capsule.....my other cav can have the other half.
I have also been giving the puppy half of a burns ocean fish treat which is 100% fish skins.
Its just unsightly as Sasha is black and tan.I washed her in the shampoo last nite and she is gleaming.....so shiny!:p

Hopefully it is just the stress of moving home and diet. The fish food should really help her skin and the evening primrose oil. Let us know how you get on with it. :xfngr: it'll clear up quickly.

We also add a drizzle of olive oil to Amie's food every now and then. It helped when she had dandruff when we first got her, and we do it now and again just to keep her skin healthy. Seems to work.

Back