• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

? About EFS

Crittercall

I think that my new boy has EFS. He came to me from his breeder with a bottle of clomicalm and that was it. I can't get a good, complete history on his but what I understand is that he was seen by both a vet and a neurologist but wasn't symptomatic at the time and not diagnosed.

I've been researching the internet for several days, reading and watching videos, and this everything I read seems to fit his symtoms. I have talked to my vet, who isn't very familiar with EFS, and am gradually weaning JoJo off of the clomicalm. Everything I read points to using either clonazipam or diazepam as treatment.

I would appreciate any info or websites anyone can give me. This boy is young (2) and I want him to have the best possible life I can give him.

Thanks!!

Oh, you have a little boy now? :lotsaluv: I love the name JoJo!

Does he show any signs of separation anxiety? I just googled Clomicalm, and that's the first thing that popped up.

That was one of the first things that struck me, Cathy. He doesn't have separation anxiety, he has seizures. If you've seen or read anything on EFS his seizures are typical in that they are brought on by over-excitement (in his case being outside and getting excited) and only last a few seconds. I noted yesterday after he had got out of the yard (darn storm - gate had blown open!) when I picked him up his front legs stiffened and went over his head while his back legs paddled.

I've seen videos of dogs that continue to do this for several seconds but his aren't that severe.

Yes, I have a boy! Something I thought I'd never say. Within a week or so after we lost Tibby I had been offered at least 4 different rubies. I had promised my husband that I would not even mention another dog for a while, but I did show him the pix of JoJo because he's so pretty! He was with his breeder just an hour or so away from us and she was looking for a home where someone could handle his medical problem. I'm not sure that she even understood what is going on with him, it's been difficult to get info. Anyway, I talked to her on the phone a couple of times, met her at a dog show where everyone was asking if we were going to be JoJo's new parents and was floored when I heard my husband say Yes.

He's a wonderful guy - beautiful coat and very loving. Roxie is totally smitten with him; she reminds me of a teenager with her first real crush!

I've tried to post a picture of him but am not having any success! Maybe tomorrow I'll have more brain cells working!

I've been reading about Rescue Remedy, and am wondering if I can get it in a gallon size and use it for myself and two of the dogs!

Donna had mentioned she was having trouble getting a picture to post of the beautiful Jo for y'all ;)

m161757340.jpg

Good luck finding out what is happeing with JoJo. I am sorry I can't be of more help. :( Aside from reading basics, I know nothing.

I hope you feel much better soon, JoJo :lotsaluv:

:hug::hug::flwr::flwr:

Last edited:
Donna he's beautiful!!!! Icon_welcome to the CavTalk community JoJo.

Sorry I don't know a lot about EFS, but I'm sure someone here will be able to help. Just wanted to say hi to the gorgeous man!

I think that my new boy has EFS. He came to me from his breeder with a bottle of clomicalm and that was it. I can't get a good, complete history on his but what I understand is that he was seen by both a vet and a neurologist but wasn't symptomatic at the time and not diagnosed.

I've been researching the internet for several days, reading and watching videos, and this everything I read seems to fit his symtoms. I have talked to my vet, who isn't very familiar with EFS, and am gradually weaning JoJo off of the clomicalm. Everything I read points to using either clonazipam or diazepam as treatment.

I would appreciate any info or websites anyone can give me. This boy is young (2) and I want him to have the best possible life I can give him.

Thanks!!

Try http://www.episodicfalling.com/
Barbara Reese knows a lot about this syndrome.

I have also just seen that Karlin has information on.... http://board.cavaliertalk.com/showthread.php?t=8883

Margaret C

Last edited:
Thanks for the sites, Margaret. Looks like I have more reading to do!!

After reading through some of Karlin's info I've learned things that go on the "yes he does" side AND the "no he doesn't". More confusion!! His back legs do not get stiff (his front legs do). He has only had three full-blown instances since I've had him. He comes out immediately. He does not lose consciousness.

Lots of questions. I talked to his breeder and we compared notes. He has improved a great deal since he's been living here. Less excitement. Less kenneling. More supervision when he goes outside.

Back to the drawing board!!

Your new little boy is lovely... sorry I can't help at all hope you find some answers soon.

Jacques Penderis in the UK would be probably the leading expert on this condition.

As with SM not all dogs have all symptoms and they all vary. So as the EFS site says, it is hard to draw conclusions because a dog does some but not others. As I understand it one of the biggest difficulties is that there is no way to diagnose except through symptoms. Thus if you can video some of the seizures it would probably help, if you can find an expert to look at them.

I know that there isn't supposed to be a propensity of one colour over another to get this but I must say almost every dog I have come across on boards or that I know of personally, that is diagnosed with EFS, is a ruby. :confused:

My Amber is a black and tan, and has had EFS since she was 12 weeks old, most of the time she is monitored to make sure she is never stressed or over excited, that limits the amount of episodes that she has, but saying that I had too take her too the vets on Tuesday for an ear infection, the stress must of been too much for her as she had an episode in the car on the way home

Back