• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Concerned about Canidae

KingstonsMom

Canidae has changed their formulation as well as their manufacturer (now Diamond), and I'm not sure if I should be concerned. It seems they've gone down in quality and the new formula is making many dogs ill (lose stool, hair falling out, paw chewing, etc.). Kingston has such a sensitive tummy, and it took me a while to find something that wouldn't upset him. Now that Canidae has changed their formula, I'm scared to buy a new bag. He is on the Chicken & Rice formula.

New Chicken & Rice formula:
All Natural Ingredients
Chicken meal, brown rice, white rice, rice bran, cracked pearled barley, peas, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), millet, tomato pomace, natural flavor, flaxseed meal, potassium chloride, choline chloride, sun cured alfalfa meal, inulin (from chicory root), lecithin, sage extract, cranberries, beta carotene, rosemary extract, sunflower oil, yucca schidigera extract, dried enterococcus faecium, dried lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried aspergillus oryzae fermentation extract, dried bacillus subtilis fermentation extract, saccharomyces cerevisiae fermentation solubles, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid, cobalt proteinate, organic selenium, papaya, pineapple.

Old Chicken & Rice formula:
Chicken Meal, Brown Rice, White Rice, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Flax Seed, Sun Cured Alfalfa Meal, Sunflower Oil, Chicken, Lecithin, Monocalcium Phosphate, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Linoleic Acid, Rosemary Extract, Sage Extract, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Mixed Tocopherols (source of Vitamin E), Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Cobalt Amino Acid Chelate, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Ascorbic Acid (source of Vitamin C), Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Riboflavin (source of B2), Beta Carotene, Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Calcium Iodate, Folic Acid, D-Biotin, Sodium Selenite, Dried Papaya, Vitamin B12 Supplement.

I'm not sure if I buy their reasoning behind changing the formula. See here: http://canidae.com/new-formulas.html

I used to have Jato on Canidae Chicken and Rice, but when they switched recipes he got sick from the food. I now have him on Wellness 5 and he is doing great. Just thought I'd share this with you. :)

Hmm I don't know if I can be much help, but I do understand your concern! I know my mom's rescue has really bad digestion problems and he got really sick on a few different foods. The only one that's seemed to work for him is Merrick's Before Grain. I have my two on a split between BG and Orijen ~ I LOVE Orijen because there aren't many ingredients, the ingredients are local (not imported) and there is only one manufacturing facility. The BG also seems to be very good food.

I am very fussy about the food I'll feed my dogs after the recalls. Faith was on recalled food for 9 weeks and cost me over $200 in vet bills to make sure she was alright :mad:

Good luck!

I've used the Canidae chicken and rice on my rescue dogs for years now, I've sworn by Canidae and recommended it almost exclusively to adopters, with their recent changes however, I've now stopped feeding Canidae all together. It was a hard decision where I've been a loyal customer to years, but their quality has greatly decressed, and Diamond is not a company I trust with the health of my dogs. I've got my rescues on raw like my own kids for now but I'm trying to find another good food - I just ordered some from Drs Foster and Smith, the ingredients aren't excellent, but they're not that bad either. Tried Wellness, and it just didn't work for my dogs. I'm very disappointed in Canidae, I really am!

Thanks for the responses guys. I've read too much information about dogs getting sick off this new formula, and the company's reasoning behind the changes truly doesn't sit well with me. They're also claiming that barley is not a grain, so they can still call their food "grain-free" even though it now contains barley.

Does anyone have recommendations on a good food I could switch to? Because of Kingston's sensitive tummy and allergies, I'm thinking maybe California Natural Chicken & Rice or, like Jato's Mom recommended, one of the Wellness formulas designed for allergies. I sometimes mix Kingston's Canidae with Natural Balance Duck & Potato. Should I switch completely to the NB? I've heard potato is hard to digest, so I'm afraid to feed him that entirely.

I feed my dogs Orijen as well and have been 100% pleased. There is nothing I can say about it except I have tried others and always come back to it. Of all the foods, their stools seem to be most firm and consistent on Orijen.

Good luck in your search!

I actually switched to Wellness 5 Lamb for Jato. After trying several really good brands of food that were chicken based, and not having much success (soft stools, gas, etc) I figured I'd try something different. The Lamb has been terrific! His stools have been perfect, and never any gas. :rah:

Back