• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Evening Primrose oil

leesanlucie

Hi all.
I have been recommended to put evening primrose oil on my puppys food as she is suffering from a dry coat at the moment with dandruff.:(

I have been to vet and got a shampoo to use and i go back in 2 weeks but i went to get some EPO and it comes in different strengths.:confused:

Can some1 point me in the right direction with this?
What strength? How much? How often?
My pup is 14 weeks.

Also I had been reading about fish oil? Does it do the same job? Or would anyone suggest that? Again how much,what strength? etc.....

I feed both dogs JWB so they are on a good food.....so not dietary.

Any help is very much appreciated!
Cheers.:razz:

Any advice here is appreciated.

Hi

I just put a squirt of Kronch salmon oil on top of their food as a general health supplement and also give them a Dorwest evening primrose oil capsule for their coat care.If you Google either of those names they will advise were to purchase.

Rgds

Brian

Coat

I have a Cavaier who gets flakey skin, she is on Royal Canin (so isn't food either) but I give her fish oil (not cod liver oil) and it seems to have helped a lot. Just a bit in with food and her coat is looking great, plus flakey skin very much reduced.

Maybe try Coal Tar shampoo. It's designed for sensitive skin and it doesn't annoy any persistant problems. We had a dog with allergies (looked very like eczema) and this was good.

Also, if you have a double sided brush, use the soft side to stimulate blood flow to the skin.

I haven´t seen Primrose here in iceland but I use FLAX seed oil from SOLID GOLD and also seameal powder from SG everyday and WOW I wouldn´t have believed the difference in Eljas coat, had I not seen it!
She is soft as silk,shiny and the shedding has decreased A LOT.It´s supposed to work wonders for the skin too.
I´t not expensive end a bottle will last for months .

HI

Just looking at the cod liver oil tablets i give my girls these are in addition to the Salmon Oil and Primrose oil Capsules they again are made by Dorwest and are just described as cod liver oil its a tub of 500 capsules and dose is i capsule per 10 kg .

Hope that helps

Rgds

Brian

Are you sure it's ok to give Evening Primrose to dogs? My GP had me on 16 capsules a day at one time but a nurse told me it's not ok to take with epilepsy, which I don't have, but as I do have M.E. and it being a neurological illness, little understood at the time, she advised against taking it. It's more powerful than a simple conditioning oil tablet.

Right I have ordered salmon oil and i have bought 500mg of EPoil.

So its in a capsule form....do i pierce it and add half a capsule on top of her dry JWB food?:confused:
She is about 3-3.5kilos max.
My other dog is around 9 .4 kilos.....wot would her dose be???

Am just hoping to see a differnce in around a week or so....would rather control flaky skin by this instead of prescribed meds from vet!

Hi

All i do for my 3 girls is with the salmon oil just a squirt on top of their meals and the EP if you ordered it as capsules one per dog which they should readily take if its in liquid form again just a squirt on their food ,pls bear in mind these are supplements just like we take so the results in coat appearance and skin health will be over a period of time ,for info my 3 weigh 2 at 7 kg and 1 at 12 kg on a diet.

Their nightly routine after tea is as follows
1 dorwest cod liver oil capsule
1 dorwest E P oil capsule
1 dorwest veterinary garlic capsule
Then all teeth brushed to the best of my ability
Then a squirt of Logic Gel on their teeth
Then a third of a stick of small dog Logic Orozyme chew

At lastly a long lie down for me.

Rgds

Brian(y)

Wow thats some nightly routine Brian!!!

I also do the dogs teeth.....to the best of my ability!!!
Right i will start their capsule tonite on their evening meal!
The salmon oil should be here tomorrow...possibly...so I will see how they do on that!
Am hopful that it wil make a difference to the pups flaky skin and possibly make my other dogs coat more glossy.

If i wasnt epileptic i would take some EPOil myself:jump:
Thanks for the advice!x

Fish oil

Is there something wrong with giving cod liver oil tablets?????

As "MisathePooh" said, these soluble vitamins in cod liver oil can be toxic and also can be retained in the liver. I give mine fish oil, usually one tablet every second day (sometimes everyday).

I was also wondering about the benefit of EP oil for dogs with DECC - a friend of mine has fibromyalgia and she suffers from very dry eyes (as indeed do I) and a friend of hers recommended to try EP - and sure enough she said it really helped with the dry eyes. I haven't had a chance to try it myself though, but I did wonder about giving it to dogs- although neither of mine have dry eyes at all.

We tried lots of different lotions and potions for our eldests dry skin, it was flaky but not bad enough for the vet to give us any medication so we looked into lots of different types of tablets you can use but the best advice we have ever been given is to give him a tablespoon of bog standard sunflower oil over his food daily. Don't ask me why it works but it is fantastic!!

Back