• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Catching a urine sample from female

shippers

I am wondering whether Sally might have a urinary tract infection. She is 18 months old now and it's a long time since she had an accident in the house. She weed in the kitchen overnight and had a further accident a few days ago. The one in the kitchen last night was only small so don't think she was desperate but just couldn't hold on. So how do I get a sample from her? I wouldn't really like the vet to do anything invasive if I could simply catch it with a sterile pot but I have the feeling she'll just move away. :rolleyes:

I use a soup ladle for both female and male cavaliers.

Beforehand, have a clean, air-dried baby food jar with lid - or a similar sized container. Pre-schedule your urine drop off, and make sure they test it while you wait. If the urine sits too long it could form crystals that weren't there when you brought it in.

Put her on a lead and walk her in the backyard or wherever she normally goes. Keep the ladle out of her sight. When she squats to wee, put the ladle down there - even if you cannot see what you're doing, you're bound to catch enough!

I could have a go with an old ladel then. Does it not have to be sterile? I can get a sterile urine pot from work that won't be a problem but the ladel sounds a better idea for actually catching the sample. Lets hope my neighbours don't see they'll think I've gone mad :confused:. Will try tomorrow when I can pre arrange with the vet.

Sterility isn't really going to matter on a ladle-- as long as it isn't taken from a really contaminated source like a filthy floor the sample would be fine.

However you really should bring her to the vet and get a proper container etc or at least ring them to find out what to do. You need to get the sample there within a few hours of taking it -- the next day isn't OK for example. So you need to make arrangements to bring a sample anyway which means making an appointment in advance and getting their advice on whether you need to bring a sample or whether to bring her in first.

I will ring the vet tomorrow and get their advice. It may have been that she was just desperate and didn't let us know.

FYI, if the vet wants a sterile sample, a needle would be used to draw urine through the belly wall. Sounds awful, but India had it done twice and she didn't seem bothered.

Thats what I was worried about really. I wouldn't want her to have that done if I can avoid it. I will ring the vet tomorrow. Are there any other symptoms I should be looking for? She seems ok in herself and has just walked a good few miles and had 2 pees. Perhaps it is me being a paranoid mother!! :rolleyes:

I've taken Meenah in to be checked for a UTI twice before and it came back clean both times. Sometimes, doggies just have accidents. The first time, my daughter was playing with a toy that scares Meenah and we think she got over-excited/nervous. The other time was when Meenah had a bout of diahhrea and was just not feeling well. I collected the samples myself by going outside with a small plastic container like a Gladware container and just slipping it under her as soon as she started squatting. Worked fine. Good luck with your dog. I ended up spending almost $90 each time I took her in, only to find out she was clean. Paranoia can be costly, but on the other hand its good to know for sure.

I'm not advising you NOT to have her urine tested, but I had a dog that got a UTI every year or so, and it was very obvious when she did. She would "leak" little bits of pee all over the place and would go to the door more often to go out.

Chloe92us, how did you get rid of the UTI? My vet won't give antibiotics/perscription food unless a sample of urine has been tested.

Your vet can provide you with a 'Catcher kit', but I think the ladle idea sounds good. I'd certainly try that next time.

The ladle is an excellent idea - we have used small plastic frisbees in the past too, that works well for girls - once they squat, just slide it in from behind. For boys I use a jug. I tend to familiarise them with the item first, so that they don't worry when they see it appear.

easier if you have the dog on a lead too!

Hope it isn't anything to worry about - keep us posted :flwr:

Back