• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Stupid question re worming...

Lisa_T

Amber needs doing - I know this because every now and again she shows a particular set of symptoms that always go away after being wormed - excessive licking and chewing at her rear end, and last night she was scooting - something I haven't seen her do in a while. My question is does Holly HAVE to be done as well, when she's her normal serene self?

I'd always worm a pair, it makes it easier to keep track of when they were last wormed.Also check out anal glands in case they need emptying,sometimes symptoms can be similar.
It's best to have a preventive schedule of worming in place rather than worming them when they show symptoms.I'm quite rigourous about worming especially if the dogs are kept indoors and share couches and pillows with kids.
Sins

I worm every three months and mine have never had worms.

I would check the anal glands are not full as the signs are similar to what you describe:)

Wormer

I also worm my lot every 3 months. If one does get worms (just pick them up in the grass etc) I worm the whole lot of them together again and then 3 months after etc.

I agree with getting the anal glands checked, I know some dogs go at their bum when they have worms but if the glands are drained (it's not pleasent for anyone involved but it's speedy) the dog will be much more comfortable.

I think the worming did the trick, really. Now Amber's much happier, and I did both at the same time. I'm not sure it's glands anyway - Amber's poos are almost always pretty solid, and the excessive biting and licking has stopped. Whew. Just (like everyone else) a little panicky ATM about symptoms like those!

Back