• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Rottweiler Mix with diarhhea

lealuis2

For the past few months my Rottweiler mix has had problems with watery stools. My Vet put her on antibiotics and special food, twice. No change, although the dog seems absolutely fine, you would never know. Then we finally got to stool samples (actually first) and she had round worms, we dewormed with Drontal. No change. Then we did bloods, found her thyroid needed help, put her on thyroid meds and she is peppier than ever, but her feces is not watery anymore, it is more like mash potatoes. I have given her rice, mixed with a little of her normal food and I also put her on a dose of Panacur. She seems to be feeling just fine, but the mushy stools still worry me. Can anyone help? Thank you.:confused:

You might want to ask your vet if your dog might possibly have clostridium or coccidia.

I think this should have shown up in the sample taken.

What food are you feeding the dog? It might be diet related. Make sure you are feeding the dog good quality food (the stuff you get at the supermarket isn't very good, more like feeding the dog pasta all the time). I find if I ever give my lot the not-so-good food they get "mashed potato" poo.

Also, have you tried procolin? It's a probiotic and helps with all the natural bacteria in the gut, may help with some of the absorbtion. Most vets have it (as far as I know) and it's given with food.

Good luck with this - it can be annoying and frustrating to figure these things out but as long as the dog seems healthy and well and isn't under the weather there isn't need for major concern (y)

I think this should have shown up in the sample taken.

Not necessarily -- some of these are not routinely tested for and coccidia can be missed on tests -- sometimes takes a few tests to pick it up.

I'd be talking to your vet rather than trying things like Panacur -- chronic diarrhea almost surely has some other cause than worms.

I'd be talking to your vet rather than trying things like Panacur -- chronic diarrhea almost surely has some other cause than worms.

I agree ask your vet to test for these other things and I would give the worming a rest as sometimes this can make them poorly if you worm too frequently. There is also a paste which we have used before (although I can't remeber the name) and it was a grey type of paste and you can give it to them to help with the insides of the tummy. I think it is some sort of pre/pro biotic and you can get it from your vets or online (although I would seek the advice of the vet first before using anything).

I hope you get it sorted it must be very frustrating for you

I'm fairly certain the test for worms is 'flotation', while the test for smaller organisms is called 'gram stain'. That's how one of the vet's receptionists explained it to me. I always ask for a gram stain now, to avoid having to make a second trip with another sample.

Let us know how she's doing.

You might want to change what you're feeding her after the vet checks her.

One of mine had a bad case of diarrhea, and after several trips to the vet and antibiotics - we changed his diet to Nature's Variety frozen raw rabbit. He completely recovered after several weeks on the new diet. Now we feed him a venison based kibble, and he's been fine since. He is sensitive to chicken now.

Back