Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you buy another one?

Post Thanks / Like

I think most people who are saying 'yes I would' are those who have not yet dealt with a dog dying from advanced MVD or living with the pain of syringomyelia
    Very good point. I've had a luxating patella with Shelby (nowhere near as difficult as SM or MVD) and oral squamous cell carcinoma with Jake (not a breed specific disease). My two are 5 and 6 years old at this point. At this point in time I can answer "yes". Hoping I am able to give the same answer in 5 more years.
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Post Thanks / Like

No, none of my rather large cavalier group is sick or in pain.
    But I've had a britney (from a byb) put down at 2 1/2 (autoimmune issues) and a rescue cocker that had to be put down at 3 (epilepsy, protein issues) and a rescue collie that was put down at 7.
    There are NO guarantees and I will give my crew the best life possible for whatever years they have. I will stack the cards in their favor(for health) and play the hand they we are dealt.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes i would also buy another one. also like it has already been mentioned i would only buy from clear heart and eye parents who have been tested within the twelve months of the pups being born. i would also steer clear of websites such as epupz etc etc etc. But i am sure you all know this x

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

By 2010 you probably will not need MRIs -- Sarah Blott has already done estimated breeding values for all pedigree cavaliers in the UK (not yet available) and hopefully, hopefully by 2010 there will be results from the Canadian genome scan project that will link genetic values to the EBVs making them highly accurate. Information from scans will still be important but not essential to a giving mating. The other advantage of gEBVs is they would give a much broader picture of a dog -- as they take into account all the dogs that went into producing that dog, not simply a scan result.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

I think I would always like to have cavaliers in the future... but although I was very careful in contacting the right people when getting my two I would be even more careful next time.

I would actually prefer to rescue from now on.

There is something special about the bond shared with a rescue dog...that's what I myself have found with DJ. Most rescue dogs have some issues but it is so rewarding to see how they come on and learn to trust day by day.
    Gus(blenhiem) Pippin(tri) DJ(ruby)

Post Thanks / Like

Tilly is not even 2 yet - she has already had luxating patella surgery and has pretty chronic SM - it is hearbreaking for all of us to watch our adored pet slowly deteriorate. So definitely NO at present I would not risk buying another cavi !! They ARE the most adorable, affectionate pets - which makes watching them cope with SM etc even harder!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lozzy100 View Post
    I will of course show all the certs i have to hand, and can recommend you dont buy from anyone who has not MRI'd just because their dog shows no sign means nothing
    all breeding stock should be scanned and i reckon the buying public have the right to good health any dog thats used for breeding that shows no signs isn't enough these days ( and never really was ) your right and certs are def the way to go
    Cavaliers are like chocolate the more you see the more you want

Post Thanks / Like

I can't say whether I would buy another cavalier. Of my four, Riley has severe and advanced SM and had decompression surgery in June. Oz, my baby, was diagnosed with a grade 1 murmer and intermittent 2nd degree heart block at 4 months of age - unfortunately not just a puppy flow murmer. He also has had what I think is EFS and has a mild malformation without syrinxes (at present) verified by MRI. My fear is that he will develop SM down the road. Because I am dealing with that right now with one severely affected dog, I think I am paranoid about that possibility. I probably will also have to deal with worsening MVD at some point. My other 2 seem fine.

I just love this breed, but don't know if I'd get another. On the other hand, I can't see living the rest of my life without a cavalier! Maybe I would consider rescuing a cavalier.

Bev, along with Oliver (7 yr old blen), Riley (6 yr old bl & tan),
    Madison (4 yr old ruby) and Oz (1 yr old tri)

Post Thanks / Like

yes i would have another.

Even if i found out that she had a horrible heart sm etc etc ok i didnt buy i rescued but she has given me so much joy that any price is worth paying.
    Mommy to Pepper the Guinea-Pig, Adoring fan of Peaches the Blenheim
    http://cirenscall.misi.co.uk/
    http://www.folksy.com/shops/Ciren

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ciren View Post
    yes i would have another.

Even if i found out that she had a horrible heart sm etc etc ok i didnt buy i rescued but she has given me so much joy that any price is worth paying.
    "Any price is worth paying"-- I couldn't agree more.

Being loved by cavalier(s) has changed my life. It is the reason I first volunteered for rescue over 7 years ago. I want all cavaliers to have the best families I can find.