• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Would you buy another one?

Yes I would have another cavalier I know what the risk are
---Aileen and (Barney--Jazzie)

(( Aileen )), what a lovely attitude; I'm nearly in tears here.

Would I BUY a cavalier puppy? A few months ago I would have said no, but now I know of at least one place I'd be comfortable getting a cav from, that may change things in the future.

For the moment, I'd say I will be involved in spaniel rescue for as long as practicably possible. I have 4 oldies, so I'm sure I'll be having further cavaliers, but the probability is that the majority will be dogs that need rehab, such as ex-breeding dogs or poundies.

Without question I would have another Cavalier and we've been afflicted with no less than five ailments (and Spencer is only 3 1/2)- CM, hydrocephalus, luxating patella, grade 2 murmur and allergies. But like, Cathy, I've been compiling a list of breeders and lines that I may want to stay away from.

i have been dealing with MVD in my puppy for the last 4 years. And yes its awful when he coughs, and its upsetting when he cries to be carried on walks because he gets out of breath so easily. . . . but could i honestly say i wouldn't go through it all again? I love him SO MUCH i couldn't imagine being without him. . . . I think i am sold on Cavvies forever. They are the most loving, loyal, good-natured, beautiful dogs in the world and yes, yes i think i would get another.

At least now i have found this site, i feel that when i am ready to adopt another puppy i will be able to make an informed and balanced choice, and pick a conscientious breeder . . . it is by 'putting our money' with the breeders who care about the future of Cavvies that we will help to force a change. If the less scrupulous breeders fail to make so much of a profit, they may find it beneficial to change their practices. . .

So the answer is YES! :dogwlk::dogwlk::dogwlk:

Yes I know Alison, that is why I am now going to get second, third and fourth opinions. The doctor that has taken care of him so far is supposed to be Swedens biggest authority in SM. But I will nevertheless get more help, rest assured.(y)

I love Dixie with all my heart, but if she was in pain I would be devastated!!!!!! I don't think I would ever take the chance again even though this is by far the BEST breed of dog I have ever had the pleasure of sharing my life with. I am the kind of person who turns off the TV, or any news ,whenever a story comes on about an animal who has had some misfortune..... I just don't think I could personally cope with the suffering another time.....

I'm doubtful that I'd get another Cavalier after going through what we have with Abbey's CM. It's awful to not be able to help her more than we can---every time she scratches, rubs her face, or quivers when I put her harness on/off her, my stomach turns.:(

Jen, I really understand you. I feel the same. The way our Totti has gained weight because of the steroids... he is so heavy, has difficulties moving etc. I think it is impossible for people that dont have a dog with this decease to understand just how davastating it is. :(

I can't honestly see a time where I wouldn't be a Cavalier owner, so I would have to say that no I wouldnt be put off getting another.

Our first girl Millie is being treated for epilepsy and our second boy Jack died at only 18 months old of heart failure. Our third and fourth (Chloe and Rex) fingers crossed and touch wood are both in great health so far but are still very young.

I think I would lean more towards fostering and rescue dogs in the future and just be prepared to deal with whatever health issues may arise.

It is so very difficult to see them in distress with an ilness and also to cope with their (unfortunately in most cases, untimely) death - but they are such bundles of love and give you so much back that I will most definitely always have to have them around me..

I would, and I think my next one will actually be a rescue. (and I'll immediately get vet insurance, of course).

We have one who has SM, it is heartbreaking and extremely expensive condition. But, we did get a second one and I just pray that he is fine, although I do watch him like a hawk for symptoms. My $.02 is that this is a wonderful breed, and growing up with a multitude of other purebreds the CKCS do have more health issues than most (but most purebreds seem to have something). SM is just very dramatic.

That said, I would just be very careful who you get your dog from, make sure it is a ethical breeder, one who fully acknowledges the health issues of the breed and is actively trying to better the health of the breed. That and I educate every person I can about the dogs. They are so adorable that everyone wants to pet them and know all about them, so there is plenty of oppertunity. Finally, just be prepared to foot the bill if you need to. It is a risk and by buying one an obligation you commit to. All and all, these little dogs are my babies and I have a hard time imagining them not being an integral part of my life as they bring so much joy and love.

Annie has 1. grade MVD and SM.:(
But I will have another cavalier (hopefully next year or in 2010).

And I will be very careful where to get my next cavalier girl from.

Whom did you buy Annie from?I'm thinking of one more Cav,but I'm scared,nobody gives any normal chance to ask questions.Not to say many breeders don't even reply to requests.Even if they do,there's no mention about health.Just show results count!I'm very disappointed.
Lots of talk about health,very little information about HEALTHY lines and dogs.All of them are breeding before 2.5 years of age.

I want to have another Cavalier one day but am terrified. Oliver was only diagnosed with SM on Sept. 18 by MRI and he will be 5 on the 22nd of this month. I had never even heard of this disease until I had to rush him to an emergency clinic on Labour Day. I am brand new to this forum and hope I am posting in the correct area.

This past Monday we had another visit with Oliver's neurologist at the OVC in Guelph, Ontario, Canada. Oliver is participating in a study, as his dam. Oliver's breeder, who mostly used UK bloodlines is having all of her bitches tested and is also partcipating in the study. I feel so lost in all of this. I don't think he's in pain, yet, but I know he's been in discomfort. We have changed his meds and so far so good, but it's only been since Monday.

I am so glad that another Cavalier owner suggested this site to me as there is a wealth of information which is hard to find on the internet.

Karlin, I thank you for your tips on future acquisitions of a Cavalier. At the time Oliver came into my life, his heart, eyes, and patella's were "guaranteed" to be clear. I've enjoyed the companionship of many other breeds throughout my life, but there is just something extra special about Oliver and I can't imagine my life without a Cavalier in it. Wonderful site!

Deborah, Oliver's Mum

This is my first Cavalier and I pray that we do not experience the health problems that I have read about. I do believe that you take a risk with any breed including a mix "pund puppy". My 13 year old mix has seizures & has been on meds for the past 10 years. My cocker mix had cronic mange that would get so bad she had to be carried outside for potty. If I were to answer right now today, I would have to answer that yes, I would have another for sure.

Back