Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Would you buy another one?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aileen View Post
    Yes I would have another cavalier I know what the risk are
    ---Aileen and (Barney--Jazzie)
    (( Aileen )), what a lovely attitude; I'm nearly in tears here.

Would I BUY a cavalier puppy? A few months ago I would have said no, but now I know of at least one place I'd be comfortable getting a cav from, that may change things in the future.

For the moment, I'd say I will be involved in spaniel rescue for as long as practicably possible. I have 4 oldies, so I'm sure I'll be having further cavaliers, but the probability is that the majority will be dogs that need rehab, such as ex-breeding dogs or poundies.
    Proud member of The Spaniel Trust - putting the trust back into spaniels.
    A Charity registered in Scotland SC038987

Post Thanks / Like

Without question I would have another Cavalier and we've been afflicted with no less than five ailments (and Spencer is only 3 1/2)- CM, hydrocephalus, luxating patella, grade 2 murmur and allergies. But like, Cathy, I've been compiling a list of breeders and lines that I may want to stay away from.
    Spencer and his mom, Whitney

Post Thanks / Like

i have been dealing with MVD in my puppy for the last 4 years. And yes its awful when he coughs, and its upsetting when he cries to be carried on walks because he gets out of breath so easily. . . . but could i honestly say i wouldn't go through it all again? I love him SO MUCH i couldn't imagine being without him. . . . I think i am sold on Cavvies forever. They are the most loving, loyal, good-natured, beautiful dogs in the world and yes, yes i think i would get another.

At least now i have found this site, i feel that when i am ready to adopt another puppy i will be able to make an informed and balanced choice, and pick a conscientious breeder . . . it is by 'putting our money' with the breeders who care about the future of Cavvies that we will help to force a change. If the less scrupulous breeders fail to make so much of a profit, they may find it beneficial to change their practices. . .

So the answer is YES!

Post Thanks / Like

Yes I know Alison, that is why I am now going to get second, third and fourth opinions. The doctor that has taken care of him so far is supposed to be Swedens biggest authority in SM. But I will nevertheless get more help, rest assured.

Post Thanks / Like

I love Dixie with all my heart, but if she was in pain I would be devastated!!!!!! I don't think I would ever take the chance again even though this is by far the BEST breed of dog I have ever had the pleasure of sharing my life with. I am the kind of person who turns off the TV, or any news ,whenever a story comes on about an animal who has had some misfortune..... I just don't think I could personally cope with the suffering another time.....

Post Thanks / Like

I'm doubtful that I'd get another Cavalier after going through what we have with Abbey's CM. It's awful to not be able to help her more than we can---every time she scratches, rubs her face, or quivers when I put her harness on/off her, my stomach turns.
    Jen, Abbey (Tri Cavalier) & Gus (White Min. Schnauzer)

Post Thanks / Like

Jen, I really understand you. I feel the same. The way our Totti has gained weight because of the steroids... he is so heavy, has difficulties moving etc. I think it is impossible for people that dont have a dog with this decease to understand just how davastating it is.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't honestly see a time where I wouldn't be a Cavalier owner, so I would have to say that no I wouldnt be put off getting another.

Our first girl Millie is being treated for epilepsy and our second boy Jack died at only 18 months old of heart failure. Our third and fourth (Chloe and Rex) fingers crossed and touch wood are both in great health so far but are still very young.

I think I would lean more towards fostering and rescue dogs in the future and just be prepared to deal with whatever health issues may arise.

It is so very difficult to see them in distress with an ilness and also to cope with their (unfortunately in most cases, untimely) death - but they are such bundles of love and give you so much back that I will most definitely always have to have them around me..
    Mam to Millie, Chloe & Rex
    Baby boy Jack (waiting at the bridge) xxxxx

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I would, and I think my next one will actually be a rescue. (and I'll immediately get vet insurance, of course).
    Lani
    (a.k.a. Lucky's & Sparky's mom!)

Post Thanks / Like

We have one who has SM, it is heartbreaking and extremely expensive condition. But, we did get a second one and I just pray that he is fine, although I do watch him like a hawk for symptoms. My $.02 is that this is a wonderful breed, and growing up with a multitude of other purebreds the CKCS do have more health issues than most (but most purebreds seem to have something). SM is just very dramatic.

That said, I would just be very careful who you get your dog from, make sure it is a ethical breeder, one who fully acknowledges the health issues of the breed and is actively trying to better the health of the breed. That and I educate every person I can about the dogs. They are so adorable that everyone wants to pet them and know all about them, so there is plenty of oppertunity. Finally, just be prepared to foot the bill if you need to. It is a risk and by buying one an obligation you commit to. All and all, these little dogs are my babies and I have a hard time imagining them not being an integral part of my life as they bring so much joy and love.
    Mary Ann (Jack Sprat's mom)