• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

concerned about sm ?

sally28

Hello to everyone,
My name is sally and over the past 2 days been reading as much as i can about this terrible condition my heart goes out to everyone who has a cavy affected. Being a cavy owner myself i can only imagine how heartbreaking it is.
I have been told about the documentary on the bbc but i can not bring myself to view it as i feel i would be deeply upset.
However i have read the symtoms of sm to look out for and my little baby is 6 years old and as yet i have not heard or thought she may be in pain.
And i am anxiously watching out for any air scratching or anything that might show she is affected.
I watched on a video of a cavy who was rolling on floor rubbing head excited which said was diagnosed with sm as my cavy does that everytime she eats or gets abit wet i thought that was normal behaviour ?
I also wondered can sm accour at any age or would it be noticeable now as she is 6 ?
I have read that the only way to diagnose sm is by mri scan so i spoke to my vet who told me it would cost £1400 which i would have to get a loan to pay.
Which wouldnt not be a problem as i would find the money but i am unsure if at this stage what to do.
I think if she had sm i would like to know so it could possibly be treated but i do not want to panic as she might not.
If anyone could make any suggestions as i very confused what to do.
Thank you everyone who has posted about sm and that more people will become aware like me of this condition.
sally

Hi Sally
I watched on a video of a cavy who was rolling on floor rubbing head excited which said was diagnosed with sm as my cavy does that everytime she eats or gets abit wet i thought that was normal behaviour ?

I am no expert but my 2 do this after eating and when they are wet so I really dont think that is a reason to worry :luv:

There is lots and lost of info on www.smcavalier.com including a section called Is this SM? which goes through all the OTHER things to check for first. It also notes on the symptoms sheet there that face rubbing is also a very normal behaviour. If this is all you are seeing I really would not be concerned. And yes a dog can become symptomatic at any time so it is useful, as with any breed-related condition, to be aware of what to watch for just in case.

I doubt you would need an MRI but if you at some point feel that you need one, there are many low cost scanning programmes in the Uk which would cost a fourth or fifth what you were quoted. But there is no point in getting an MRI unless 1) you are definitely seeing clear symptoms and have eliminated every other possibility with your vet and your vet feels you should get an MRI ; 2) or you are a breeder getting grades for responsible breeding; 3) or you are scanning for research.

Why not give your vet the website address, www.smcavalier.com as it has a list of low cost MRI schemes across the UK.

Completely normal behaviour, our cavalier does that as well, and our cocker spaniel too.

Hi thanks everyone for getting back to i do feel more reasurred that at the moment she is ok and her behaviour is completly normal.
I will be keeping a eye on her now i am aware of this condition and after looking on this great site found were they do cheaper mri scans if needed in the future.
I feel i want to do something im not sure what but i am very sad to think people are breeding these lovely dogs knowing that the parents have this conditon.
Anyway thanks all again sally oh my cavy is called pumpkin she also says thanks

Back