• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Now I know how my mom felt, long and rambling

SuzRN

Hi all wanted to post and ask for some opinions.

The title referes to how my mom felt when my sister or I got sick and she had little or no sleep. Chelsea got sick last night at 11pm with explosive diarrhea, then every 1-2 hours vomiting and more diarrhea. Now I have worked on call and got probably the same or less sleep, but today I had to go to a class for work, so Chelsea spent the day at the vet.

No more vomiting but had diarrhea about 4 hrs ago. In the past she has not tolerated any type of rawhide and with a lack of rememberance on those few months of 3 am vomiting I gave her a bully stick as a treat on Monday. Saw part of it come back up last night looking like the shape of her distal stomach valve(pyloric?, cats vomit hair balls this shape).:(

So best diagnosis is gastroenteritis, started on flagyl and amoxicillin low residue can food. Labs show elevated white cell count and low platlet(not too bad) all other tests neg. We talked about changing food and treats so I wanted some opinions and/or suggestions.

I have her on Wellness, but think in may be to 'hot', the vet is going to try to order Royal Canin for Cavaliers as I have seen that severial of you like it. Treats will be reduced to dry biscuits (Nutro maks for sensitive stomachs) and as I have started training for agility with her low fat cheese and cooked chicken.

So far tonight she seems better if tired and slow but just jumped up to see what Tyson was up to when he meowed then rushed back like she had diarrhea agian. False alarm:)

Thanks for looking and any help, tired probably lots of typos and still have to work in 8 or so hrs. :eek:

oh my gosh! i hope you and you little girl is feeling better now. I am sure your little girl will get better soon with your TLC.

Hi

I hope Chelsea gets better its a horrible thing to have ,my three have just recovered after having upset tummies for two weeks.

Sorry you went through all of that! I have one who explodes out the back end from time to time on certain treats so she doesn't get them.

One query: when the platelet test was done were they hand-counted? Cavaliers can appear to have low counts when they actually do not because about a third have large platelets.

See: http://board.cavaliertalk.com/showthread.php?t=9125

I am so sorry to hear little chelsea is unwell, cavvies to tend to have sencitive tums, my lot cannot have rawhide or pig ears or anything like it, the only food my dogs can tollerate is burns i have had no problems with them on this. As for treats i use tinned hot dogs or chicken and they love it. there is not many treats i can give them without it upsetting them, so i just stick to what i know they love and can handle, they do have raw chicken wings to chew on which is good for their teeth plus they have other bits of raw veg and other meats with no problem, they also love raw eggs which they get one a week on friday..lol

I hope your little one is feeling better soon , please give her a gentle hug from me xx

Feeling better

Hi, thanks for all the messages. This morning she was still dragging, the dog walker said she has some rements on her this afternoon from diarrhea, I just got home from a fundraiser and she had some dark semiformed rements on her, no messes in the house, dark outside so not sure what she had. :eek:

Personality is back to normal with her appatite:dogwlk:

Have not had a lot of luck with the royal canin in the states, sent a message to corporate office, will check response.

Thanks for the infor, one questions the chicken wings, do you give the whole wing(3 parts) or the drumettes?

Thanks agian for the suggestions.

platlets

Karlin, forgot the platlet count was most likley auto diff, results 120,000 but my vet is somewhat used to cavaliers so no worries. Thanks for the link to articles.

Hope your baby is soon well again. It's amazing, i worry more about my furrybabies than I ever did my human kids when they were sick. I think it's because the furries can't talk and therefore can't say how they feel. Intuition only tells you so much :(

We talked about changing food and treats so I wanted some opinions and/or suggestions.

I have her on Wellness, but think in may be to 'hot', the vet is going to try to order Royal Canin for Cavaliers as I have seen that severial of you like it. Treats will be reduced to dry biscuits (Nutro maks for sensitive stomachs) and as I have started training for agility with her low fat cheese and cooked chicken.

I've had wonderful success with Nature's Variety Frozen Raw rabbit or lamb food after India's and Geordie's bouts with diarrhea. And Nature's Variety Prairie venison & millet kibble is easy on their stomachs too.

If you begin to suspect her training treats as being a problem, we've had success with Natural Balance lamb log rolls. I used to cut off a slice and then dice it into tiny cubes for agility training treats.

Back