• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Samson's Reaction to Distemper-Parvo vaccine, IS THIS NORMAL?

Samson got his Distemper/Parvo vaccine yesterday and he was pretty okay, just a little bit more sleepy than usual. But this morning when we woke up, I tried to pick him up and he cried. He did eat, and he's been drinking, but for awhile he was laying on the couch sleeping and alternating between breathing heavy and being relaxed.

Now he's awake again, I picked him up and he didn't cry, and he's running around playing with his chew toys.

Has this reaction happened to any of your pups? Please let me know I'm not alone.

I've called the vet, waiting for a callback.

injection

Hello
Obviously the Vet is the best person to advise but if it helps , I have had pups with similar reactions. The site of the jab sometimes can get a small lump which subsides slowly and it can be a bit tender in that area.I have never had it create long term problems for a puppy but hope your Vet can put your mind at rest.

TTFN
Evelyn

Samson got his Distemper/Parvo vaccine yesterday and he was pretty okay, just a little bit more sleepy than usual. But this morning when we woke up, I tried to pick him up and he cried. He did eat, and he's been drinking, but for awhile he was laying on the couch sleeping and alternating between breathing heavy and being relaxed.

Now he's awake again, I picked him up and he didn't cry, and he's running around playing with his chew toys.

Has this reaction happened to any of your pups? Please let me know I'm not alone.

I've called the vet, waiting for a callback.

Mine only do this if I get the DHLPP. If we leave lepto out, they haven't had a pain reaction.

My dogs receive single vaccines, so their Parvo and Distemper shots were separate, but my Truman had a horrible reaction to the Parvo injection. He continued to throw up at the vet's office for 2 hours after the injection.

Now whenever the dogs have to have injections I give homeopathic supplements to them several days before and after to help off-set any negative side effects (especially for the rabies vaccine). I would talk to your vet and see what he/she has to say, but if you can split up the Parvo and Distemper vaccines next time and he has a bad reaction to one of them, at least you'll know which one it was; with the combination injections you aren't able to tell which one affected him negatively.

Thanks for the responses everyone. Thankfully, he's doing better! We played together, he did some tricks, and now hes sitting in my lap chewing his chew toy. Thank doG :p

Alfs got a reaction too,huge lump undar the skin.So he was put on a course of antibiotcs.

My Puppy Max had a horrible reaction to the DHLP

He was fine, then all of a sudden he SCREAMED in pain when ever we picked him up. I had to put him in a soft dog bed to take him out, then he would hop out, do his business, and hop back into the bed. The vet said when he gets his booster in a few weeks, that they will give him some pain meds first??Has anyone heard of this, or do you think I should consider doing separate boosters. He was ok by lunchtime the next day, but it was horrible for him.

My one dog has a terrible reaction to Lepto-- each shot she got progressively more reactive. The last lepto shot she got, she was 2 years old, she was physically ill for 3 days. Her next shot we did a dhpp instead-- she had NO negative reaction. Now since this, I have adopted Dr. Dodds shot protocol. And not they are doing studies that would make boosters (except rabies) not necessary. A friend pointed out an article in a toy dog magazine and now I don't remember which one.

I hope Samson is feeling much better. I do believe that we have been given advice that really over-does the vaccinations. Since vets get so much of their income through yearly vaccines, they are hesitant to tell people otherwise.

I know my breeder and her vet are big believers in not over-vaccinating due to the auto-immune problems and reactions too much exposure can cause. She said to only give the DHPP. Since she gave a written 3 year health warranty, I don't want to do anything against her recommended protocol. I was speaking with another breeder before choosing the one we bought Bandit from who would void her warranty if you went outside her vaccination protocol and it was very minimal as well.

My breeder had her vet give the first shot at 8 wks, then he was to have another at 12 weeks, another at 16 weeks and then wait until 20 weeks for the rabies. Then, at one year of age, he'll get a DHPP booster, a 3 year rabies, and then nothing else for at least 3 years.

Back