• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Does Your Cav Scoot

JimmyT

My puppy, 4 months old now, scoots her butt along the ground after she poops. Not necessarily right after, sometimes 5 minutes later. I had her to the vets yesterday for shots and she does not have worms and the vet could find no other reason for it. Is she just being polite and sort of wiping afterwords?

Don't know if she's too young to have anal gland problems. Did your Vet check this? Does she have any other symptoms or do anything strange like air scratching or bunny hopping? Not trying to scare you but have a look at the SM board.

I think it's something that cavs just do. Its not necessarily a sign that something is wrong, although they do tend to scoot when they have worms of if anal glands need expressing. Hope this helps :)

My 4-and-a-half-month-old also did a bit of scooting. My vet checked her anal glands, which were fine, and she did not have worms.
She has now stopped the behavior for the most part, so I would say if your vet has checked him/her just give him/her some time to learn what's appropriate around the house!

Does your cav scoot

Our 5 1/2 month pup does the same thing. Vet emptied anal gland at 4 months, and said its really unusual to be a problem in one so young - but I read somewhere that its not unusual in some lines.

Try puppy wipes.

Please don't think this is too gross, but I had to offer my 2 cents.

Meenah used to scoot after pooping, not immediately after but a few minutes after. If we happened to be outside, it was fine. But if we were inside, the carpet received the brunt of her scooting. Ugh. The vet did check her anal glands and said that they were fine. I was told that Cavaliers commonly scoot to relieve an itch or clean themselves after pooping. I can't stand the thought of a poopy butt being dragged across my floor, sitting on my lap, sitting on my furniture - well you get the picture - so I purchased puppy wipes and cleaned her every single time she pooped as if she were a human baby. I have three kids so this didn't bother me at all. Nor does it bother Meenah. Ever since I started cleaning her this way, she has never, and I mean never, scooted again. (y)

Sometimes it's as simple as a bit of poo stuck to their bottom...:D

But often it is anal glands - many Cavaliers are unable to empty their glands, and need this done regularly - usually monthly. This is something that your vet/vet nurse/groomer can teach you to check and to do - it's not as horrid as it sounds, and it really is ESSENTIAL to monitor this. Blocked glands are very uncomfortable and can easily lead to infection/abscess which is very painful.

Some Cavaliers just do it for attention!!

And lastly, sadly, sometimes it's an indicator of SM :(

Back