Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Pedigree Dogs Exposed: part three

Post Thanks / Like

To be fair, I have a certain amount of symapthy for Ms Costello.Is is unfortunate that she was the one who was "ambushed" at the Malvern show. However there is so much discussion surrounding the rights and wrongs of people's actions we must keep focused on the message that the programme delivered.
    1. There is no requirement for a breeder to follow any MVD or SM protocol.
    2. The health status of a dog has no bearing on the eligibility or suitability of a dog for the showring.
    3. Breeders are not convinced of the value of MRI scanning as a tool for selection of breeding stock.

Villifying Margaret Carter and Carole Fowler is extremely distasteful. Instead they are owed a debt of gratitude for their sterling work in highlighting a very serious issue.
    It's worrying that instead of working to find a way to deal effectively with SM in the cavalier breed there now seems to be a taste for vengeance with certain elements trying to discredit the established experts who have staked their careers on trying to help breeders to understand and control SM.
    Perhaps MRI scanning isn't the complete answer but does that mean it should be dismissed?
    I also feel we'll be hearing the same arguments about EBVs and why breeders choose not to use that resource either when it becomes available.
    Sins

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Response to craigowl correspondent

I would like to respond to Mrs Inglis breed note correspondent for Dog World but feel my emotions some times rule my head and the anger swells up inside me for what is happening to our lovely breed that I have owned for over 30 years. Would someone put together a response or could I use Karlins post?
    HollyDolly

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HollyDolly View Post
    I would like to respond to Mrs Inglis breed note correspondent for Dog World but feel my emotions some times rule my head and the anger swells up inside me for what is happening to our lovely breed that I have owned for over 30 years. Would someone put together a response or could I use Karlins post?
    If I can do it you can You can PM me your reply before you send it and I'll look over it if you like. Mine was checked for me before I posted it just in case I got any facts wrong.
    Dylan, Poppy & Kipling's
    *''' ' "*Mummy`` "*'
    ,'*" "*'

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Thankyou

If I can do it you can You can PM me your reply before you send it and I'll look over it if you like. Mine was checked for me before I posted it just in case I got any facts wrong.

Thanks for that. It may take a few hours but I will PM you just to check for me.
    HollyDolly

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Response sent

I have just sent my response to the Breed note correspondent for Cavaliers Dog World N. Inglis, will be interested to read her reply. I have also sent copy to the letters page of Dog World although have doubts as to it being published. Will be on holiday from Wednesday the 10th for one week so will not be around when the paper is due out next Friday. Thanks to Pauline for helping with this and also for submitting her response too.
    Last edited by HollyDolly; 8th September 2008 at 12:28 AM. Reason: forgot to thank Pauline
    HollyDolly

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cotswold Journal

this up today

MP clashes with The Kennel Club

2:18pm Monday 8th September 2008
    Comments (0) Have your say »
    By Simon Crump »

THE Cotswolds’ MP has urged the government to change the culture of pedigree dog breeding in Britain following a BBC One television documentary.
    Geoffrey Clifton-Brown MP spoke after the documentary, entitled Pedigree Dogs Exposed, criticised The Kennel Club for insisting traits be bred into pedigrees, causing them pain and endangering their lives.
    Mr Clifton-Brown said he was pleased to see Gloucestershire’s Carol Fowler appear in the documentary.
    Mr Clifton-Brown supports her campaign against trait breeding, which she launched after becoming aware of the syringomyelia genetic disorder that affects Cavalier King Charles Spaniels, the breed she owns.
    He said he spoke with leading veterinarians, scientists, the club’s officials and senior officials from the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs.
    The MP will also write to Lord Rooker, the government’s Animal Welfare Minister, encouraging him to arrange a meeting with Carol and himself to discuss the issue.
    Mr Clifton-Brown said the documentary “showed the persistent criticism and ridicule that Carol has faced from breeders who have a vested interest in seeing the current status quo maintained”.
    He added: “However, I know Carol to be a hugely determined lady and I will continue to assist her in persuading the government that they must act now to change the culture of pedigree dog breeding and showing in this country.”
    Bill Lambert, Kennel Club spokesman, refuted the documentary’s allegations.
    He said the club has introduced health testing schemes and changed breed standards, while working to improve canine health.
    Mr Lambert said: "We fully understand how upsetting it can be to see one’s pet suffer from illness and why Carol Fowler asked her MP to take this up in Parliament.
    “We have recently approached Mr Clifton-Brown's office requesting a meeting to update him on the work we are doing to improve the health of pedigree dogs, following questions that he tabled in Parliament."
    frecklesmom
    Learning new things everyday

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi

Been following every word and cheering away in the background ,"Come on Ladies " .Meanwhile i emailed my local crusading MP Mr Frank Field and made him fully aware of the facts and the support offered by Mr Geoffrey Clifton-Brown and received a reply on the 2 nd inst as follows.

Thanks for your email .I will contact Mr Geoffrey Clifton-Brown to see what he is planning and how I might help.

With Best Wishes

Frank Field .

Will all you experts on this horrible curse please advise us pet owner Cav people if there is anything else we can do ,i have signed and emailed as many people who i can think can add further weight and may i have permission to copy the mail previous to Mr Field to advise update of Mr Clifton-Browns recent activities.

Kind Rgds to All
    Brian M

Poppy the Tri, Daisy the Blen, Rosie the Ruby and Lily the B & T

Post Thanks / Like

Brian, that piece is straight from the Cotswold Journal ( newspaper)today so is public. May I ask a question? What is an MP exactly?
    frecklesmom
    Learning new things everyday

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default write to dog paper

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Hi

Been following every word and cheering away in the background ,"Come on Ladies " .Meanwhile i emailed my local crusading MP Mr Frank Field and made him fully aware of the facts and the support offered by Mr Geoffrey Clifton-Brown and received a reply on the 2 nd inst as follows.

Thanks for your email .I will contact Mr Geoffrey Clifton-Brown to see what he is planning and how I might help.

With Best Wishes

Frank Field .

Will all you experts on this horrible curse please advise us pet owner Cav people if there is anything else we can do ,i have signed and emailed as many people who i can think can add further weight and may i have permission to copy the mail previous to Mr Field to advise update of Mr Clifton-Browns recent activities.

Kind Rgds to All
    You could also write to dog world or send a response to N. Inglis breed note correspondent for cavaliers this can be down on line.
    HollyDolly

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by frecklesmom View Post
    What is an MP exactly?
    A Member of Parliament.
    Dylan, Poppy & Kipling's
    *''' ' "*Mummy`` "*'
    ,'*" "*'