• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Discoloration of the whites of the eyes

The whites of my little Sammy's eyes are brown in places. He also has thick clear discharge coming from his eyes that I am constantly having to wipe way. I have taken him to our vet and she says that since the discharge is not yellow or green that I should not worry and that the discoloration my be just how his eyes where meant to be. She did do a tear production test on him which came out totally fine. Has anyone experienced this type of discoloration before? I do trust my vet, but I just can't help being a worried mom.

The discoloration is actually bred for -- it makes the eyes look larger.

Eye discharge is very common and yes, you just carefully wipe away, always avoiding wiping over the eye or touching it. (y)

The whites of my little Sammy's eyes are brown in places. He also has thick clear discharge coming from his eyes that I am constantly having to wipe way. I have taken him to our vet and she says that since the discharge is not yellow or green that I should not worry and that the discoloration my be just how his eyes where meant to be. She did do a tear production test on him which came out totally fine. Has anyone experienced this type of discoloration before? I do trust my vet, but I just can't help being a worried mom.

The browner the better. My first cavalier had one eye with the sclera white and one brown. I just thought something was majorly wrong.

Eye discharge from a puppy could be considered totally normal. They usually outgrow most of it unless there is an allergy compounding the issue. Some cavaliers have eyes so wet that the area under the eye looks red and smells like yeast (bready smell).

Wow, I had no idea it was a desired trait. Thanks!

First of all, thanks for your prompt replies. I really do take after my grandmother as a true worry-wart. LOL. Both Sammy and his "brother" Charlie have had medical problems (go figured right). So it's easy for me to get worried. We also know that their lives did not start out the best. My wife and I adopted Sammy and Charlie from a couple of college girls who bought them at a pet store, had them for a year and found they didn't have enough time to really properly care for them. We also know from the papers that the girls gave us that both boys originally came from puppy mills. We are very commited pet parents and of course we instantly fell in love with the little sweeties and have since been to the vet over several issues including taking Charlie in for eyelash removal (his lashes were growing in toward the eyes), and Sammy for a hernia repair that was long overdue. To say the least, they along with the rest of our fuzzy family members are what makes the world go around for my wife and I.

Thanks again and snuggles from my little Super Sam. :dogwlk:

Back