• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Hernias

Jan Bell

I originally posted this question on the rescue dogs page as I read that Randy was being rehomed as he is unsuitable as a breeding dog as his puppies were born with hernais. I've realised that I was asking the question on the wrong section as it has nothing to do with re-homing!

So,could somebody tell me a bit more about hernias - are there different types?

Both my Cavalier's have what I was told are small umbilical hernias. So far they haven't caused any problems - they are just little "bumps". I didn't even register it as a problem really. When we got Rufus my vet said that I shouldn't breed from him because of the hernia (we don't breed anyway) but until then I hadn't given it much thought.

Neither of the breeders mentioned made much of it.

I'd just like to know a bit more for future reference.

Thanks for your help.

My little Truman (9 months) has an umbilical hernia. When he is neutered the vet will take care of it. It's not very big so it isn't something that is urgent. My breeder pointed it out when we got him...you could see it when he was little because he had less fur, but now that he's a hairy little pup you can't even see it anymore. I would talk to your vet, I think it depends on the size of the hernia as far as if it needs to be taken care of sooner than later.

Both Toby and Rufus only have tiny little bumps which are now hidden by fur. Toby was neutered many years ago but the vet didn't do anything, so I assume he thought it was ok to leave.

Next time I am at the vets I will ask out of interest.

Hi,

visible size of the hernia ist not important for health. What is relevant is whether it is closed or not i.e. whether it is possible for gut to push through the hole and get caught. This can not be gauged by looking at the size. The size is usually a fat deposit which is totally harmless.
Most hernais close of their own accord - some do not - and then an operation might be necessary.

kind regards,

Katherine

DJ has one it just protrudes a little and doesn't seem to cause him any problems.

I do have to make sure his harness doesn't press on it though.

I had my vet check it out when I got him and he said it's fine for now just a little bit of fatty tissue where his umbilical cord was.

It sticks out a little and has hair coming from it so it looks like a little extra... you know what!

I will continue to keep an eye on it and my vet will check it annually.

I've had 2 dogs with hernias

One of our dogs had a hernia that stuck out a bit and was not painful at all to him and our vet told us there was no need to do anything about it. Our other little guy lived with a painful hernia for a year and a half before we rescued him and got it repaired. It seems like a condition that needs to be evaluated on a case by case basis.

Back