Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Under arm pain

Post Thanks / Like

My 16 month old girl, Tilly, has just had an MRI confirmation of SM and she has always had what I called "delicate ribs". Often when picking her up she yelped, but I have also found that picking her up very slowly and being careful to distribute her weight on your whole hand ( as well as taking most of it from her backend) has reduced the yelping considerably.

Post Thanks / Like

I will echo what Michelle and Devilica said. When picking up Riley, my SM dog (decompression surgery 6/10/08, I have to pick her up very slowly and almost as one piece, supporting her back end and holding her close. If I don't do this, Riley will have what her neourologist calls a "vestibular event" in which she loses her sense of orientation and balance even though she's being held.

Bev, Oliver (7 yr old blen), Riley (6 yr old bl & tan), Madison (ruby - 5 years old today!!!), and Oz (14 month old tri)

Post Thanks / Like

Default now im worried!

My five-month-old -sometimes- yelps when I pick her up with my hands under her arms. I thought this was normal!
    She doesn't scratch very much, and she has never done the "air scratching."
    Should I be worried now?
    I guess my real question is, does anyone have cavs that have been MRI-cleared for SM and feel this under-arm pain?
    Thanks.
    ~Liz~ New mama of Reina~~RIP Shadow 3/19/08

Post Thanks / Like

My 5 YO Casey, whom I suspect has SM although not confirmed, goes through phases where she will yelp if picked up or will run from me if she knows I am going to pick her up. However, she has been on Rimadyl for a month now and has not made a peep since.
    Trisha in Southwest Florida
    Cavaliers: Casey, Ollie, & Winston and usually a foster or two! Cats: Pebbles & Benson

Post Thanks / Like

Puppies often do yelp - but you should make it a practice never to pick her up under her arms anyway. Pick them up like a cat, supporting both their lower and upper halves in transit - once you have them up though you can brace her back legs/bum against yourself and have a hand free.
    Holly - 7years
    Amber- 3 years

Post Thanks / Like

You said exactly what I would have said Lisa. Neither of mine has ever tolerated being picked up under their arms, both of them get full support when I pick them up.
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah