• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Choking sound.

JudyG

You know that choking/gagging sound Cavs sometimes make?almost like a cough. During last night Maddy came into our room doing this & obviously in some distress. It doesn't happen very often but it unsettled her & she came to me several times afterwards even though she was fine - I think it was for reasurance? When it does happen I usually gently rub her throat & talk to her in a calm way, is there anything else I should do?

If she is coughing and not snorting, I'd talk to your vet. She may be gagging -- the breed can have problems due to the shortened palate and this can pose a serious risk for some dogs.

When cavaliers get the snort rubbing their throat doesn't help. The best thing to do is gently tilt their head down and cover nostrils with a finger or thumb. This causes them to breather through their mouths and generally solves the problem right away.

Cavaliers that have frequent snorting problems should probably be checked by a vet as this can actually cause them to not be able to breathe adequately.

Choking

My Cavalier has a compressed trachea, which causes her to make very odd sounds with her throat. This is not uncommon in Cavaliers so vet checking is definately the way to go. She doesn't need any medication for it but if she gets any sort of infection so does need to go on anti inflamatories to help her breathe with greater ease.

Just a quick question - are you maybe referring to "reverse sneezing" (when they sound like they are choking or can't quite catch their breath for a little bit). This is is not harmful but can give them a fright. Leaving them to deal with it on their own is the best way to handle this, just to let them get their breath back. My Cavalier sometimes eats her food a bit fast and has an episode of this afterwards, but they can have one for no real apparent reason too.

for reverse sneezing I always hold the nose shut - then it stops very quickly.

kind regards,

Katherine

I knew to tilt the nose down but didn't know you had to cover the nostrils so thanks for that Karlin. Dylan hasn't done this in ages but when he has, boy does he run to me.

Oh god ruby does this! she only does it when very hyper when someone she likes comes to my home, it last's five mins, i will book her in with vet i thought it was common in cavs!

I didn't know to gently tilt their head down and cover their nostril either, thanks for that sound piece of advice Karlin, Jasper does this when he gets very excited and I usually pick him up.(y)

I'll try the head tilt. I had a Cav many years ago who also did this. Maddy has done it 3 times since we adopted her last October & it's very hard to ignore her or leave her to it as it obviously distresses her & so she comes to me for reasurance I think? She has an appointment at the vet in 2 weeks time for her booster jab so I'll mention it then.

Back