Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Finn is deathly ill

Post Thanks / Like

Default Finn is deathly ill

Finnigan my year old cavalier was fine all morning. He pooped normal twice on his walks, was active and happy. Later on while taking his nap, he is woke up writhing in pain. We rushed him to the vet. They did some tests on his spine, limbs and xrayed his belly. The only thing they saw was some gas. We took him home with some pain meds and he grew steadily worse over the next hour. He was walking hunched over and crying out with every step. We rushed him to the local er and they kept him. They called and said all blood work was normal and nothing really showed up on the xrays. He did not ingest anything that I know of. He really won't eat just anything. They are doing an ultrasound this afternoon. I am a wreck. It cost a thousand dollars just to leave him there. I don't have it. I put it on a credit card that must be paid in full every month. I will scrub toilets for eternity if it means saving my beloved pet. Prayer for him please.

Post Thanks / Like

I hope it's nothing serious,Please let us know when you have some more news.
    Sins

Post Thanks / Like

Praying for Finnigan. You already did the right thing in rushing him to the vet. Interesting that the x-rays and bloodwork are normal. Please let us know as soon as you hear anything on the ultrasound.
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rugbymom View Post
    Finnigan my year old cavalier was fine all morning. He pooped normal twice on his walks, was active and happy. Later on while taking his nap, he is woke up writhing in pain. We rushed him to the vet. They did some tests on his spine, limbs and xrayed his belly. The only thing they saw was some gas. We took him home with some pain meds and he grew steadily worse over the next hour. He was walking hunched over and crying out with every step. We rushed him to the local er and they kept him. They called and said all blood work was normal and nothing really showed up on the xrays. He did not ingest anything that I know of. He really won't eat just anything. They are doing an ultrasound this afternoon. I am a wreck. It cost a thousand dollars just to leave him there. I don't have it. I put it on a credit card that must be paid in full every month. I will scrub toilets for eternity if it means saving my beloved pet. Prayer for him please.
    Sounds almost like bloat. Gas, pain, blood fine--- I will keep him and you in my thoughts and prayers.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WoodHaven View Post
    Sounds almost like bloat. Gas, pain, blood fine--- I will keep him and you in my thoughts and prayers.
    He no symptons of that. He pooped twice that day. I would expect that from my mastiff not a cavalier.

I am in agony waiting for the vet to call.

Post Thanks / Like

This probably has no relevance but I had the writhing symptoms and crying out with Freckles months after he came and after sending sample to U it came back positive for Giardia. It had flared up and couldn't be seen at local vets.
    frecklesmom
    Learning new things everyday

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by frecklesmom View Post
    This probably has no relevance but I had the writhing symptoms and crying out with Freckles months after he came and after sending sample to U it came back positive for Giardia. It had flared up and couldn't be seen at local vets.

Did he have trouble walking? Did he cry and was hunched over when he tried to walk?

Post Thanks / Like

Will say a prayer now
    Dylan, Poppy & Kipling's
    *''' ' "*Mummy`` "*'
    ,'*" "*'

Post Thanks / Like

The first time it happened he was outside, he wouldn't move from the spot and it was easy to see by his posture where he had pain-hunched and crying and by then my neighbor and I were having tears. I had never been able to get a really firm stool with him-had formed but not firm. Had taken several stools to vet and this time took the stool in and said this needs to be sent and it came back positive for Giardia.
    frecklesmom
    Learning new things everyday

Post Thanks / Like

Site about Giardia.

http://priory.com/vet/giardia.htm

And a quote:

What are the clinical signs associated with infection?

The trophozoites divide to produce a large population, then they begin to interfere with the absorption of food, so faeces from affected animals are typically light coloured, greasy and soft. These signs, together with the beginning of cyst shedding, begin abou tone week post-infection. There may be additional signs of large intestinal irritation, such as straining and mucus in the faeces, even though the Giardia do not colonise the large intestine. Usually the blood picture of affected animals is normal, though occasionally there is a slight increase in the number of eosinophils (one of several types of white blood cells) and mild anaemia. Without treatment, the condition may continue, either chronically or intermittently, for weeks or months.
    Dylan, Poppy & Kipling's
    *''' ' "*Mummy`` "*'
    ,'*" "*'