• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Finn is deathly ill

rugbymom

Finnigan my year old cavalier was fine all morning. He pooped normal twice on his walks, was active and happy. Later on while taking his nap, he is woke up writhing in pain. We rushed him to the vet. They did some tests on his spine, limbs and xrayed his belly. The only thing they saw was some gas. We took him home with some pain meds and he grew steadily worse over the next hour. He was walking hunched over and crying out with every step. We rushed him to the local er and they kept him. They called and said all blood work was normal and nothing really showed up on the xrays. He did not ingest anything that I know of. He really won't eat just anything. They are doing an ultrasound this afternoon. I am a wreck. It cost a thousand dollars just to leave him there. I don't have it. I put it on a credit card that must be paid in full every month. I will scrub toilets for eternity if it means saving my beloved pet. Prayer for him please.

I hope it's nothing serious,Please let us know when you have some more news.
Sins

Praying for Finnigan. You already did the right thing in rushing him to the vet. Interesting that the x-rays and bloodwork are normal. Please let us know as soon as you hear anything on the ultrasound.

Finnigan my year old cavalier was fine all morning. He pooped normal twice on his walks, was active and happy. Later on while taking his nap, he is woke up writhing in pain. We rushed him to the vet. They did some tests on his spine, limbs and xrayed his belly. The only thing they saw was some gas. We took him home with some pain meds and he grew steadily worse over the next hour. He was walking hunched over and crying out with every step. We rushed him to the local er and they kept him. They called and said all blood work was normal and nothing really showed up on the xrays. He did not ingest anything that I know of. He really won't eat just anything. They are doing an ultrasound this afternoon. I am a wreck. It cost a thousand dollars just to leave him there. I don't have it. I put it on a credit card that must be paid in full every month. I will scrub toilets for eternity if it means saving my beloved pet. Prayer for him please.

Sounds almost like bloat. Gas, pain, blood fine--- I will keep him and you in my thoughts and prayers.

Sounds almost like bloat. Gas, pain, blood fine--- I will keep him and you in my thoughts and prayers.
He no symptons of that. He pooped twice that day. I would expect that from my mastiff not a cavalier.

I am in agony waiting for the vet to call.

This probably has no relevance but I had the writhing symptoms and crying out with Freckles months after he came and after sending sample to U it came back positive for Giardia. It had flared up and couldn't be seen at local vets.

This probably has no relevance but I had the writhing symptoms and crying out with Freckles months after he came and after sending sample to U it came back positive for Giardia. It had flared up and couldn't be seen at local vets.

Did he have trouble walking? Did he cry and was hunched over when he tried to walk?

The first time it happened he was outside, he wouldn't move from the spot and it was easy to see by his posture where he had pain-hunched and crying and by then my neighbor and I were having tears. I had never been able to get a really firm stool with him-had formed but not firm. Had taken several stools to vet and this time took the stool in and said this needs to be sent and it came back positive for Giardia.

Site about Giardia.

http://priory.com/vet/giardia.htm

And a quote:

What are the clinical signs associated with infection?

The trophozoites divide to produce a large population, then they begin to interfere with the absorption of food, so faeces from affected animals are typically light coloured, greasy and soft. These signs, together with the beginning of cyst shedding, begin abou tone week post-infection. There may be additional signs of large intestinal irritation, such as straining and mucus in the faeces, even though the Giardia do not colonise the large intestine. Usually the blood picture of affected animals is normal, though occasionally there is a slight increase in the number of eosinophils (one of several types of white blood cells) and mild anaemia. Without treatment, the condition may continue, either chronically or intermittently, for weeks or months.

I'm sending Finnigan lot's of positive thoughts and good vibes l hope he's feeling better soon :xfngr:

I'm sorry to hear about Finn...he's in my thoughts and please keep us posted on how he's doing :hug: I know it's scary when you don't know what's wrong with them. Do you have pet insurance on him? If not, most vets will work with you to pay a bit at a time, if that helps...just a thought. I hope he's okay, stay strong for him :flwr:

I don't know what it could be, but I will be praying for you and your finances, too. As a single mom, I know how worrying it is when things happen unexpectedly. When this crisis is past, you might look into pet insurance. It sure saved my butt this summer. I had over $2,000 in vet bills. The lion's share of those were for my cav that was covered by an Embrace policy. I know that isn't what is on your mind right now, however.

I will be thinking of you and Finnigan.

The thing about the greasy stools-Freckles had that one time and not at the time of pain. I scoured the web for weeks and Giardia seemed to fit the problems-the vet was not convinced until the report came back :bang:. After treatment, he has not had another episode :xfngr:.

Look into getting a carecredit credit card. They have a 12 month no interest plan you could look into. I hope he feels better soon!

Prayers and healing thoughts going up right now for little Finn, and you as you wait for a diagnosis! :hug:

I surely don't want to minimize what is happening with Finn but I did have an incident when Jake was young. He was obviously in pain and walked kind of hunched up, wouldn't get down off the bed and didn't want to be touched. He had woken up several times crying and I ended up putting him in bed with us and ran him to the vet in the a.m. Turned out he had gas. I felt silly but my vet told me to remember how I feel when I have those horrible stabbing gas pains and that at least I know what they are....he's just a dog and has no idea.

Hoping you hear something positive today.

Thinking of you and Finn. I hope everything turns out ok :xfngr: Big :hug: for both of you.

Thinking of you and Finn. I hope everything turns out ok :xfngr: Big :hug: for both of you.

Finn ingested something that was too big for his little intestines. It has finally made its way to his large intestine but hasn't passed yet even with the help of enemas. He is starting to squat like he has to go. If it doesn't pass soon,they are going to have to knock him out and try and massage it out. He developed aspriation pneumonia from retching. He is still quite ill. I will never pray so hard for a dog to poop.

Thanks for all the good thoughts. We still have aways to go.

Back