• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Finn Had Surgery

rugbymom

After much frustration and no results, we took Finn to a new vet. They read his charts, examined him and immediately took him into surgery. He had been regurgating for hours at the other vet. She examined every square inch of his digestive tract and found no obstructions of twists or torsions of his bowel. She did find a small part of his bowel adhered to his bladder and she fixed it. His digestive tract is very inflamed and she biopsied it. She is 90 per cent sure he does not have cancer. She believes he suffers from something that in humans would be called irritable bowel or digestive syndrome. He will be treated with steriods and hopefully his regurgagation will cease. He will need steriods and a special bland diet from now on.

To top it all off my car died at the vets and no one would tow it to the dealer because it was an hour from the vets.

I need an exorcism or something.

After much frustration and no results, we took Finn to a new vet. They read his charts, examined him and immediately took him into surgery. He had been regurgating for hours at the other vet. She examined every square inch of his digestive tract and found no obstructions of twists or torsions of his bowel. She did find a small part of his bowel adhered to his bladder and she fixed it. His digestive tract is very inflamed and she biopsied it. She is 90 per cent sure he does not have cancer. She believes he suffers from something that in humans would be called irritable bowel or digestive syndrome. He will be treated with steriods and hopefully his regurgagation will cease. He will need steriods and a special bland diet from now on.

To top it all off my car died at the vets and no one would tow it to the dealer because it was an hour from the vets.

Fingers crossed that the black cloud leaves your area.
I am so sorry to hear about Finns continuing issue. As rare as torsion is in smaller dogs-- I honestly thought he may have it. I hope all it is is IBD-- though I'd never heard of it causing major vomiting unless it was high in the digestive system.
Best of luck to you both-- I hope your car issue is simple to fix.

So sorry about your ordeal. It there still the possibility of Giardia?
I am sure you feel like things can't get worse. The bright spot is you still have Finn. I hope you get a solid diagnosis soon as it seems that everyone is still guessing.

Keeping my fingers crossed that Finn will be much better after the surgery. What an ordeal you all have been through. My heart goes out to you....Judy

Really sorry to hear about all your troubles, but fingers crossed for Finn that he is now on his way to recovery.

The car thing is just typical isn't it? Any other time it would have been a nuisance, but these things just have to happen when you're in the worst possible situation. LIfe does have a nasty habit of doing this but I hope the worst is over for you now.

Please update asap.

Love to Finn from all here in Surrey.

Really sorry that you are having a bad time of it, really hope that finn is on the road to recovery and that they will be able to help him!

HI
I hope Finn is better soon which i am sure he will be

Best Wishes

Brian
Poppy
daisy
&
Rosie

Aww Rugbymum, you are really having a bad time of it :hug::hug:
I hope Finn is recovering well after his surgery :lotsaluv: Is he still at the Vets?

Sending lots of {{{{HUGZ}}} and positive vibes from Dublin, Ireland :flwr:

Did the new Vet say that this should fix the problem? What did they say about the possible Addison's disease? I know someone whose dog was very ill with Addison's, I can put you in touch with her if you want to know more. That was very brave to switch vet's and I'm sure very difficult, I had to do that too in the middle of an illness and was very glad I did.

So do they still charge you $1,000 for an obstruction which didn't exist???
Hope he makes a speedy recovery after all his ordeal.
Sins

The new vet doesn't believe it is addisons now. She is leaning towards a bowel disorder. He is still very sick and still throwing up. They are waiting on biopsies.

It is so frustrating.

rugbymom,
do you have a veterinary teaching hospital nearby? it seems that those places do the best job at diagnosing/treating illnesses. They are up on the latest info, and have the best technology. You might see about a transfer there. They also often have discounted prices

rugbymom,
do you have a veterinary teaching hospital nearby? it seems that those places do the best job at diagnosing/treating illnesses. They are up on the latest info, and have the best technology. You might see about a transfer there. They also often have discounted prices

I was thinking the same thing. Are you near Philadelphia?

Hoping and praying he improves soon.:hug:

Sorry you are going through this :( I hope things turn the corner soon and he is home safely in your arms :flwr:

:hug::hug:

I am giving the doctor till Wed to fix him or he is going to University Of Penn. You have heard of Murphy's law? Well Reidy's law is Murphy's law times ten. You think I be used to it by now.

Finn did poop yesterday. Never thought I be happy about poop. It shows stuff is still working but he is still regurgatating. They are trying different meds to control it. He is the type of dog that would get car sick, if he rode in the back seat.

Finn pooed -that is terrific. He's got some peristalsis going the right way :xfngr:
for more. You are doing a wonderful job as Mom :flwr:

delighted to hear about the poop.
At least he's being taken care of now. My prayers with you and Finn
:flwr:

At least he was able to poo, hope everything else gets sorted for him, fingers crossed here.

Back