• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Small scabs where she's scratching

WE just noticed several scabbed areas around the neck region - where she scratches with her hind legs. She does scratch some, but not incessantly. There is no sign of fleas or ticks, and we use Frontline. She otherwise seems healthy. Any ideas?

It might be a bacterial infection,best get the vet to have a look.Daisy got cut by brambles and was quite irritated by itching and small crusty scabs formed over her skin arounfd her chest. A course of antibiotics sorted it out.
Sins

Also if there's no apparent cause for this, just be sure you and your your vet are aware of syringomyelia in the breed -- scratching at the ears and/or neck and/or shoulder areas is a common symptom. My SM website has a list of things to do to eliminate this as the cause of the problem but if a vet can find no other reason you will likely want to talk in detail about seeing a neurologist:

www.smcavalier.com

There is a good list of neurologists in your region with SM experience (marked in red) here: www.cavalierhealth.org under 'neurologists'.

If she is scratching enough to produce scabs, that indicates she is pretty badly bothered by something. I have two SM dogs who scratch and neither has ever done this hard enough to produce scabs ( though I know others who have) so I'd do the full route of checking for ear mites, infections, flea dermatitis etc. and if one of these is present, ask to see a neurologist.

Going to the vet today.

We were planning to take her in today. Thanks for the advice about SM, hadn't thought of that, but I will mention it.

Allergy and Staph Infection

We saw the vet today, who diagnosed an allergic dermatitis with staph infection. So, we are on some antibiotics, antihistamines, and a special shampoo.

Thanks again for the advice!:paw:

Not that this should be any kind of consolation, but Kosmo also has a scab underneath his ear where he's still scratching :( He's going in on Wednesday to be checked out (again!) and we'll see what happens from there.

Glad you got it figured out.. hopefully she feels much better soon :)

Just wanted to let you know you're not alone :flwr:

Back