• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

RSPCA has pulled out of Crufts

Karlin

Administrator
Staff member
Just received this:

To: [email protected]
Subject: Press release: RSPCA Pulls Out Of Crufts

Please find a press release to follow. For further information, please contact RSPCA press office on 0300 123 0244/0288.

RSPCA News from the press office

Monday 15 September 2008

RSPCA Pulls Out Of Crufts
- Urgent change is needed to save the pedigree dog -

The RSPCA has suspended plans for a stand at Crufts and is calling for new measures to tackle the unacceptably high levels of disability, deformity and disease that threaten pedigree dogs.

In the wake of the BBC documentary Pedigree Dogs Exposed broadcast last month, the RSPCA has become increasingly concerned about the health and welfare of pedigree dogs - and this includes animals entered into 'best of breed' classes in dog shows like Crufts.

In the past, the RSPCA has staffed a stand at Crufts in order to promote general animal welfare issues.

RSPCA chief veterinary adviser Mark Evans said: "Dog shows using current breed standards as the main judging criteria actively encourage both the intentional breeding of deformed and disabled dogs and the inbreeding of closely related animals. There is compelling scientific evidence that the health and welfare of hundreds of thousands of pedigree dogs is seriously compromised as a result. From a dog health and welfare perspective, such shows are fundamentally flawed and do our much loved pedigree dogs no favours. Intentionally breeding deformed and disabled animals is morally unjustifiable and it has to stop.

"We want to see the emphasis shifted away from arbitrary appearance, so that health, welfare and temperament are considered first and foremost. We want to help ensure that pedigree dogs have the best possible chance of being fit, healthy and happy and well suited to the lives they will lead as pets. All those who benefit from pedigree dogs have a collective responsibility to solve what is now a very serious and totally unnecessary animal welfare problem - not just here in the UK, but around the world."

The RSPCA has commissioned an independent review of the science in this field, and will be discussing its findings with relevant experts and stakeholders later this year. Amongst a raft of specific recommendations, the following themes have been identified as possible ways forward:

? An overhaul of the rules and requirements for pedigree dog registration and competitive dog showing (including breed standards). Health, welfare and temperament should be prioritised over appearance.
? The development and implementation of health and welfare-focused breeding strategies for individual breeds. This should include pro-active steps to increase the genetic diversity of dog breeds.
? More data collection and scientific analysis on causes of disease and death in dogs
? Education, especially of would-be owners, to encourage demand for dogs which have the best possible chance of leading healthy, happy lives as pets.

"We know that hundreds of thousands of dogs are vulnerable to illness, pain, disability and behavioural problems because they're primarily bred for how they look rather than with health, welfare and temperament in mind," Mr Evans said.

"If things don't change pedigree dogs will continue to suffer unnecessarily, and their welfare will continue to decline - this is totally unacceptable and can't be allowed to happen. Careful breeding with an emphasis on health, welfare, temperament and quality of life is the only way to ensure a positive future for the pedigree dog."

The RSPCA has also cancelled plans to attend the Discover Dogs show, due to take place in November.

-ends-

OMG that's fantastic news!!! Does the RSPCA have any control over the KC? Can it force them to change their criteria for eligibility?

A lot of vets supporting this -- was sent the release by a prominent Irish vet also a UK columnist at a major paper.

this is great news. I always thought that the way dogs like Alaskan Huskies are bred makes more sense. The looks are secondary to temperment and the ability to do the job they are bred for (isn't that how different breeds originally got their start? for a particular purpose?)

Here is the attitude of the Alaskan Husky people when attempts have been made to form a registry for these dogs:

Serious aficionados of the breed are hesitant to cede the breed definition to "looks" (external appearance) in fear of losing the dog's defining working qualities and character by placing form over function, as has happened to many other breeds such as the Poodle (which was once regarded as an outstanding hunting dog rather than fashion accessory). This preference for form over function can be seen in other Northern breeds such as the AKC Alaskan Malamute which is bred for a curly tail: the curly tail is a purely decorative standard, and results in a shorter back that is not beneficial to running.

Wonder if they will hand back the large charitable donation made to them by the KC?

Personally I have absolutely no time for the RSPCA, I have lost count of the number of times I have heard of them refusing to turn out to animals in distress and that is when you can get them to answer the phones. I would much rather give my money to one of my local animal charities or the likes of Many Tears. Likewise many other folks I know in the dog world.

Ruth

Not that big a surprise, after reading what happen to dogs today at the last crufts, I couldn't see the RSPCA and KC in the same room at the show.

Personally I have absolutely no time for the RSPCA, I have lost count of the number of times I have heard of them refusing to turn out to animals in distress and that is when you can get them to answer the phones. I would much rather give my money to one of my local animal charities or the likes of Many Tears. Likewise many other folks I know in the dog world.

I have a swings and roundabout with the RSPCA, sometime good, sometimes bad over the years. But they went out of there way to find SiânE a home (mine :cool:)when they could have chosen the ease route to put her down and for the past five years have funded her diabetic meds.

It's their right to have or not have a stand as they see fit, while being newsworthy I can't see the point of withdrawing their stand.Would they not be better off having their stand and continue to touch base with the thousands of people who attend Crufts? I can't see any benefit in doing this but I suppose after their statements on the Pedigree dogs exposed documentary they have to be politically correct and withdraw or else be accused of hypocrisy.
In spite of all that was said I still love Crufts and enjoy it.I hope the BBC don't drop the coverage.
Sins

It's their right to have or not have a stand as they see fit, while being newsworthy I can't see the point of withdrawing their stand.Would they not be better off having their stand and continue to touch base with the thousands of people who attend Crufts? I can't see any benefit in doing this but I suppose after their statements on the Pedigree dogs exposed documentary they have to be politically correct and withdraw or else be accused of hypocrisy.
In spite of all that was said I still love Crufts and enjoy it.I hope the BBC don't drop the coverage.
Sins

I too love Crufts. I got Rudee in 1994 after having watched Crufts and I had her for almost 13 years :lotsaluv: but I would be in favour of the BBC dropping the programe until such time as the entrants are required to present all health certs, not only for the dog/bitch they are entering but also for the sire and dam. Then and only then will Crufts have any real meaning, for me anyway.

Crufts is only a dog show!(* Sins ducks to avoid incoming missiles):p The same dogs that you see at Crufts travel the show circuit week in week out and the same standard of health for dogs should apply to every individual show run under the auspices of the kennel club.
Dropping Crufts would be a grand and noble gesture, albeit a pointless one which would achieve absolutely nothing.

"BBC dropping the programe until such time as the entrants are required to present all health certs, not only for the dog/bitch they are entering but also for the sire and dam. Then and only then will Crufts have any real meaning, for me anyway."

Exactly,SINS, Cruft is only a dog show. It is not a health fair and I'm sure it is never promoted as such. Most dogs shows are run by volunteers... unpaid volunteers. Statements like above make me wonder if people really know the ins and outs of dog shows. It is a forum for those in the hobby of breeding dogs. Yes, hobby for most breeders. Who is going to pay the person who checks all these health clearances before a show? Dog shows run on a shoestring. Perhaps the RSPCA would like to volunteer their time and money. Looking at their account statements it seems they can afford it. They aren't spending huge sums on health research it seems.
I'm going to hazard a guess that the RSPCA has set up a booth at Crufts because it is good promotion and quite probably a cash cow. Who goes to Crufts? I'm going to bet that it is mostly people who are involved in some way with breeding and showing and the minority may be the general public. I think their presence would be a slap in the face to the breeders exhibiting.Frankly, I think it might be a wise decision for the RSPCA to avoid Crufts. In fact I would be surprised if they were even allowed to have a booth there.

Crufts got along without the RSPCA and the BBC before and I am sure they will manage again.

Frankly, I'd like to see the RSPCA put their money where their mouth is and donate some of their huge bankroll to fund research into dog problems. I won't hold my breath waiting though.

If the people who criticize think you can do a better job of breeding and you have all the answers get out and do it. Let me know when you have a three generation line which has had NO health problems at all and has still retained the lovely temperment of the Cavalier. I will be first in line to buy a puppy from you.

Frankly, I'd like to see the RSPCA put their money where their mouth is and donate some of their huge bankroll to fund research into dog problems. I won't hold my breath waiting though.

Amen to that! especially puppy farming!!

Since the UK Kennel Club puts on Crufts wouldn't it be better if they advertised it as a beauty show for dogs and then no one would expect the participants to be healthy-just pretty. 160,000 attended Crufts last year and the profit to the Kennel Club .04m and written with the pound sign. Yes, the RSPCA could show better with its monies and the Kennel Club could put all the monies collected from the puppy farmers toward eradicating puppy farms but, gosh, that would hurt their income. :eek: And, BTW, if Crufts were advertised as a beauty show then so many of the public would stop seeking to buy a puppy "like the one that won".

Since the UK Kennel Club puts on Crufts wouldn't it be better if they advertised it as a beauty show for dogs and then no one would expect the participants to be healthy-just pretty.
I think until the BBC showed the pedigree Dogs Ex[posed documentary, the average Joe Soap just accepted Crufts as a canine beauty show and never even thought to question the health status of any of the dogs.Health didn't enter into the equation as families across the globe settled down to watch .The documentary although controversial, may have changed that for TV viewers.
Sadly though, if someone falls in love with cavaliers after seeing Crufts, they might possibly look up their local small ads and buy a cavalier and be shocked to find that their cow hocked,long nosed bundle of fur doesn't look remotely like the Best of Breed that graced their screens some months ago.

Back