Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trimming ears

Post Thanks / Like

I have issues trying to trim my puppy at all...she's only 5 months, but she's a wiggle worm!! We do trim her ears, though. She's so picky and won't drink her water if her ears fall into the dish. Good luck trimming your baby!

Rayleigh, Southend-On-Sea, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd say buy a pair of thinning scissors for the most natural look. I trim Dylan's feet, tummy and leg feather and I don't think you'd ever notice as you get such a soft edge with these scissors. I once took a tiny bit off his ears, only 5mm, as they looked dry. It looked too straight so I softened it with the thinning scissors.
    http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?im...%3Den%26sa%3DN
    Dylan, Poppy & Kipling's
    *''' ' "*Mummy`` "*'
    ,'*" "*'

Post Thanks / Like

I tried some thinning scissors with my old dog Becky, but didn't get on very well with them. I seemed to have to pull at the fur to get it to cut. Did I just have a duff pair, or was I lacking the technique?

I agree that with normal scissors you get a blunt look, so perhaps I'll have another go with thinning scissors if somebody can give me some tips.
    Jan
    Owned by Rufus (B&T) and Piper (Border Terrier) and in loving memory of 12 years of Toby joy (Tri cavalier) - waiting at the rainbow bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

she currently looks very blunt but at least she isnt getting them covered in gunk anymore
    Mommy to Pepper the Guinea-Pig, Adoring fan of Peaches the Blenheim
    http://cirenscall.misi.co.uk/
    http://www.folksy.com/shops/Ciren

Post Thanks / Like

I tried one of those Spaniel bowls that come in at the top - the ears are supposed to fall to the outside to stop them getting wet. Neither Toby or Rufus would drink out of it - no idea why! So gone back to the normal one and soggy ears.
    Jan
    Owned by Rufus (B&T) and Piper (Border Terrier) and in loving memory of 12 years of Toby joy (Tri cavalier) - waiting at the rainbow bridge.

Rayleigh, Southend-On-Sea, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Bell View Post
    I tried some thinning scissors with my old dog Becky, but didn't get on very well with them. I seemed to have to pull at the fur to get it to cut. Did I just have a duff pair, or was I lacking the technique?

I agree that with normal scissors you get a blunt look, so perhaps I'll have another go with thinning scissors if somebody can give me some tips.
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=xF20TGF3Srw

Scroll forward to 1.40mins and you will see you do pull the scissors through the hair or chop and pull the cut hair out. My daughter is a hairdresser and I use her thinning scissors, I would expect to pay £20 for thinning scissors, they go up into the hundreds, and I personally would get human ones.
    Dylan, Poppy & Kipling's
    *''' ' "*Mummy`` "*'
    ,'*" "*'

Post Thanks / Like

I had a look at this and I might have another go with a new pair of scissor. Thanks Pauline.
    Jan