• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Pedigree Dogs Exposed: part four

Karlin

Administrator
Staff member
There are plans in the works to make it easier for all breeders and puppy buyers to get this kind of information. :) Almost every breeder I know who is breeding with an MRI and heart focus has a waiting list for puppies and I get a lot of enquiries every week for breeder contacts --plenty before Pedigree Dogs Exposed ever ran, so this is a growing demand from informed buyers, and even more since -- so people definitely want this information. And I know such breeders welcome buyers who have this health focus too are are very happy to go through MRI grading certs and often MRIs themselves and heart certs.

I thought that maybe this is a breath of fresh air
From the West England CKCS Club

The committee have decided to donate money from Club Funds to assist any member of the club wishing to have one of their dogs MRI scanned. The scheme will be limited to 25 dogs for the time being and £100 will be given to each owner on receipt of an invoice from the neurologist.
Members wishing to take advantage of this scheme may use a neurologist of their choice and should contact the secretary Mrs. Diane Searle for further information.

The CKCS Club (general) is now inviting out of country members to the Oct.5 meeting

The committee have decided to donate money from Club Funds to assist any member of the club wishing to have one of their dogs MRI scanned. The scheme will be limited to 25 dogs for the time being and £100 will be given to each owner on receipt of an invoice from the neurologist.
Members wishing to take advantage of this scheme may use a neurologist of their choice and should contact the secretary Mrs. Diane Searle for further information.

That's a great idea.

Last edited:
The Club must be mad -- as must the KC -- to want the vast amount of negative publicity they will get for holding an SGM. All that money spent on media advisors and a website by the KC will pale in comparison to the UK media running with a story about how the club have done nothing similarly public about the ethics complaints formally made against the breeder of the Malvern dog, which presumably must follow the exact same procedure, vs the lone person willing to identify this problem. :sl*p: They must truly have absolutely no comprehension of how these actions caused revulsion in the broader public.

In addition the club cannot act outside its own rules -- it cannot remove someone from a committee if it has no procedure for doing so in club regulations; anyone who belonged to any college society will know this -- I'd have thought a national dog club would be more copped on than they seem to be. As I know lots of prominent lawyers through my job, I've already taken legal advice on the issue, which for free, I will give to the club :) -- you cannot do this! All it can do is follow its own procedures for acting on an ethics question -- and they have not done so with Margaret Carter, which will make any action null and void and an SGM meaningless. But the bigger picture is the real issue -- they must be insane if they think making this topic even uglier and more public will help them boost the breed's and club's image and address falling puppy sales! They will be the laughingstock of the KC while even more cavalier puppies will sit getting older and older and older and ultimately unsaleable. I wonder how many cavalier breeders with litters they haven't been able to sell will find the national papers covering their SGM would help sales? icon_nwunsure The best (and free!) advice I can give the CKCS Club is: get a good media advisor firm or ask to use the KCs and get some proper advice! In PR terms, you are positioning your head on the guillotine right now!

On the other topic -- That's a great initiative from the West England club. (y)

I guess they have enough rope to hang themselves. :-|

Just out of curiosity, will any journalists be covering this meeting?

The Club has to be totally not in touch with reality-it's enough to drive sane people nuts. Their own rules state

No dog which has a known physical defect that could be detrimental to the health and well being of the offspring or the breed in general should be used at stud.
They object to this breach of rules, that no one was facing up to, being outed. How sad that they loose credibility but also be shown to have little integrity as a Club. These Club members make your head spin. Cavalier spaniels deserve a better representation.

I know that at least two formal ethics complaints -- the very same issue which the club is calling the SGM for with Margaret Carter -- were filed at the same time (if not before the petition) about breeder Beverly Costello, owner of Beauella Radzinski, to the club committee. Yet an SGM has only been called regarding Margaret. The procedure must be the same for both.

The club and breeders are totally clueless if they think they will achieve anything but the most self-destructive and pyrrhic of victories attacking the person who finally stood up and said out loud what they not only KNOW goes on but in which many themselves choose to PARTICIPATE in -- versus responsibly addressing the actual problem of shoddy, immoral, unethical breeding practice.

Through their current actions, their desperation is brutally obvious -- to protect an outmoded, cruel system that disguises this kind of practice and allows them to do as they wish while foisting off puppies -- at a good cost! -- to the unwary pet owner who finances their hobby. It is sad that many good breeders are damaged by the perceptions created by those currently running through the streets with their lit torches, on the attack. BE CAREFUL WHERE YOU BUY!!

Surely this will go down in the history of the Kennel Club as one of the most foolish, asinine, self-centred actions ever. If the KC has not yet noticed the cliff it is standing on due to the actions of CKCS CLub at the moment, it will discover it soon enough (and that it wasted all that spin control money).

Just out of curiosity, will any journalists be covering this meeting?

(y) Let's just say there is a lot of interest in many quarters. It is a story handed to the national media on a plate. Several million people in the UK alone watched Pedigree Dogs Exposed. They will be very interested to learn what happened next.

Just a reminder -- people can also send a petition on issues that matter. Over 1000 people have signed this one to tell the KC to halt inbreeding.

I'm reminded of Lisa T's post about Dublin Castle with the statue of Justice in the 18th c deliberately having a hole on one of her scales. Thus when it rained, the scales became imbalanced - :p
If people are being dragged from the all over the Uk for this SGM then why not run another at the same time when as many members as possible are assembled?
That way the rules of the club would be seen to be applied fairly across the board.
Sins

Hi

Theres another item on BBC Northwest tonight about dangerous dogs ,I hope there no Cavaliers in it.!:confused:

Apparently she was banned from the club but eventually reinstated despite being tried and convicted on 83 counts of animal cruelty -- and that was her first show back judging. :eek:

If it was a conviction to do with children or elderly care... can you imagine the outrage if someone was then given a job back in the field?

Truly bizarre.

:mad:

"" Mr Hamer said: "It's another example of the RSPCA going at something with a sledgehammer." ""

Sick, just sick. Sicker still are those who are rallying round in support.

Sins,

That place believe me was no worse than the place in which Donna and I went into and took a Cavalier from a while ago, my late Lucy. A throw out.

The breeder was an Acc breeder on the K.C list, they removed the Acc status after pressure due to intervention, and it took ALOT of pressure. Might add here as well that the RSPCA didn't want to get involved on this one :( but she still advertises on there alot, and still breeding.....Cavs and Shelties.

Alison.

To qualify for the accredited breeder scheme all you have to do is fill in a form and pay a small fee. The chances of ever being inspected are tiny -- and generally require complaints and even then as Alison notes, it can be a struggle to get them to do anything.

So what is the point of a puppy buyer choosing a breeder from a scheme that anyone can pay to join to make themselves look better?

The KC has said it plans to overhaul the scheme but really it would need some sort of rigorous examination and a fast-action complaint system.

What exactly do you have to be involved with to be thrown out of a breed club?
perhaps this?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/688360.stm

Sins

we were once looking for a rescue cav and after making enquiries were given her contact details as she had some "foster" dogs . But were told not to ring that day as she would be busy. turned out she was busy because she was in court that day !

I dont care what your opinion on her is you dont give rescue dogs to someone who is up in court on cruelty charges

It's a great pity that wasn't in the Pedigree Dogs Exposed program. Can you imagine impact that would have had????

Pauline, I agree with you wholeheartedly, someone should contact the papers and remind them of this -keep the pressure on.

Back